ISPconfig 3: Sub-Domain

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Mentor, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Hi:

I am trying to figure out how to create sub-domains with separate folder structures using ISPconfig 3.

I need to be able to load trial sites into the folder structure and allow clients to visit them.

I have had a look at the menu system and it is a little confusing to say the least. Please could someone assist, thank you.

Kind regards,

Mentor :confused:

2. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Hi:

I addition to the above, it is interesting to note that I can add sub-domains simply by adding a host to an existing domain.

I have tried to add a host to an existing domain as follows:

Type: A-record
    Name: new
    IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    TTL: very short for now

Save.

Done, except that it doesn't work - somewhere there is a config issue it would seem?

Regards,

Mentor

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Just create a nwe website for every subdomain. And do not mix up websites with dns records.

4. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Hi Till:

Okay, let's see if I have this right:

1. Create new DNS record using the wizard, and
    2. Create new website?

I followed this process and perhaps I was a little impatient, but I am not able to ping my host after a few minutes?

Please could you let me know if I am following the right process and just being impatient? Thank you.

Regards,

Mentor

5. till

1) The dns wizard can not be used to creat subdomains. You have to edit the dns record of the existing domain and add a dns A-Record for the subdomain. Then you have to wait up to 48 hours until the dns record is propagated. It does not matter which TTL you had set, this will not speed this up.

2) Yes.

6. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Hi Till:

Okay, cool - I was just concerned because under ISPC2 I could add new host records to a domain and could ping it within 5 minutes - CTLD - and now I can't - (I haven't set any transfer rights or anything like that - could that be a problem) - but if you think that it is fine, then that's cool!! :)

Kind regards,

Mentor

As a postscript: Added to the above, once I have followed through the methodology above, I cannot even ping the new host on the server on which it resides? I think that there may be an issue with MyDNS? Please let me know what you think as this is becoming a trifle urgent, thank you.

Kind regards again :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  7. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Why does a dig at the ns ip produce a positive result, but ping does not?

8. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Hi:

I am struggling to understand something related to the DNS issue that I am trying to sort out:

- I created a SOA - domainname.ctld
    - I registered it with local country-registrar
    - I can ping domainname.ctld as well as www.domainname.ctld
    - I created a site and can go to it using either of the above URLs
    - I created a sub-domain - host.domainname.ctld around four hours ago
    - I cannot ping it and if I create a site for it I cannot go there
    - I can DIG records for the domainname.ctld including the host.
    - I cannot ping the host - even from the server on which it resides!?

What's going on? I have never experienced this before - I have used ISPConfig 2 on another platform and it just works - I can create a host and within 5 minutes I can ping it and build a site using it. I just think that somewhere I haven't configured something right - I did use the wizrd to create the domainname.ctld SOA and edited the record to manually add the new host - A-record.

Anyone know what's happening here or seen it before? Please let me know, thank you.

Kind regards,

Mentor :confused::(

9. till

Post a screenshot of the settings that you used to add the dns a-record.

10. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Hi Till:

Thank you for your email. I have attached the screenshots as requested.

Kind regards,

Mentor

Attached Files:

11. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you post bigger screenshots so that one can read what's in them?

12. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Hi Falko:

Thank you for your reply - herewith larger images as requested.

Hopefully we will be able to work this out - it is rather strange.

Kind regards,

Mentor

Attached Files:

13. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Hi:

I ma not sure if I have mentioned it, however maybe something useful:

I cannot dig records from my server from other hosts - they are refused - so perhaps that is part of the problem?

I have checked the MyDNS.conf file and the only change that I have made to it is to enable recursive lookups to another one of my hosts.

I am concerned as my installation is now a week overdue as a result of this problem, and I have already spent at least 12 to 18 hours over the last week trying to figure it out. It is unfortunate because there are a lot of great features in the ISPConfig 3, however if it not going to work from DNS point of view, then I cannot use it and will have rollback my new server to ISPConfig 2 or another solution. This would in my opinion be unfortunate, so if you are able to help I would really appreciate it very much, thank you.

Kind regards,

Mentor

14. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Hi:

To all who have assisted, thank you. Unfortunately we have decided that we cannot use ISPConfig 3 as it does not provide a satisfactory platform for our environment. This is very disappointing for us as it showed a lot of promise initially, however the DNS issues are proving a little to complex and long-winded to resolve.

A suggestion: ISPConfig 2 worked great with BIND - ISPConfig 3 has some really great features and a very nice front-end. Although some very good reasons have been stated for going with MyDNS, especially security, migration, simplicity, etc. it just does not not have sufficient footprint in the market to gain our vote of confidence - everyone runs BIND. Anyway, that is just my penny's worth.

Kind regards,

Mentor :(

15. till

Looks as if you had a firewall enabled that blocks access to dns ports on your server.

16. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Hi Till:

Actually we found that the default config for recursive lookup in mydns.conf was a * or blank - I think that it was a * - I am not sure if that was meant to be changed as part of the installation process, but obviously setting it to an IP address was a good idea because dig started to work after that.

However there were still issues with not being able to ping hosts, even from the server where they were hosted, so we decided that it was too problematic to continue and stopped the project.

As I said, it is a pity because I actually like the new ISPconfig. Too bad!! :(

Kind regards,

Mentor.

17. till

I really dont know what the problem is with your setup, but there are alredy more then 10.000 ispconfig 3 installations from the RC 2 and I know several companys which use it in production setups already and the dns system seem to work fine for these users.

18. all

all New Member

not true, it doesn't work for me either :( even mx records are set for mails and they keep on redirecting to my main domain instead of going to mail

i am unable to add sub domain :(

struggling to learn that, but i guess i can't keep it up.