ISPConfig 3 + Ubuntu 9.04 Configuration

Discussion in 'General' started by danielborene, Jun 11, 2009.

1. danielborene

danielborene New Member

Hello everyone,
    First of all, i'm new to linux ubuntu and i'm seeking some help from all you experts...

I've got couple domains that I want to host on my own server at home, I got cable internet with static IP address.

I followed all the instructions from howtoforge on how the setup the perfect ubuntu 9.04 with ISPConfig 3, the installation went fine and everything works.. now my question is.. I'm not really familiar setting up DNSs and it always confuse me a little all those zones and etc...

What do I need to do, to get the my domain pointing to my server, do I need to create the custom DNS thing with my domaing hosting? how about on ISP config, what kind of DNS configuration I need to enter on ISPCOnfig?? What about emails? Do I need to setup a MX address? how do I do that?

This case it will be a shared hosting environment, because I only have one IP adress, and I'll have 3 website hosting.

Thank you very much

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The esaiest way is that you use the dns management system of the company wre you regsitered the domain and simply point the domain with a dns A-Record to the IP of your server. Then do the same for the ww subdomain and create a MX record.

3. danielborene

danielborene New Member

Thanks for your reply..

On My Domain Hosting Company I Have the options
    Custom DNS Record

Primary Domain: "mydomain.com" points to "My Server IP Address"

Subdomains
    Subdomains (subdomain.domain.com) can be routed to IP addresses or domain names.

Do I Have to Set a Subdomain?? what would the subdomain be?

Mail
    Mail records (mx1) can be routed to full domain names only. Enter the priority (we recommend increments of ten: 10 ... 20 ... 30).

MX1 Priority:____ Points to Alias/Domain: ___________________

So, here do I set Priority 10, points to mydomain.com??

OK, thats on the domain hosting compan..

Now on my ISPConfig, what do I have to do on the DNS configuration part,
    DO I have to create any kind of zone?
    Do I have to create a MX record on my ISPConfig, what address it will be pointing to?

Another question, how do I setup the address, smtp.mydomain.com / pop.mydomain.com? will that be at the configuration of subdomain ot my domain hosting company?

Thanks

4. till

yes

yes

nothing.

create DNS A-Records for these subdomainss at your dns registrar.

5. danielborene

danielborene New Member

yes

nothing.

create DNS A-Records for these subdomainss at your dns registrar.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for all your help Till, it's working fine now...
    One more question on ISPConfig, how can I create a master FTP Account on PureFTPd that I can access the main web root folder, for example /var/www and access all website's folders?? Because when you create a ftp account on ISPConfig it goes for that specific domain only right?

Thank you.

6. till

There is no such a master FTP account and you can not create one because every site has its own site owner for security reasons, so even if there were an account it would be useless.

7. danielborene

danielborene New Member

OK,
    Thanks a lot for all your help... I've got everything working smooth now.!