ISPConfig 3.x new Redundancy setup

Discussion in 'General' started by trexen, Nov 18, 2010.

1. trexen

trexen Member

Hi,

is there any best practice on how to do a new ISPConfig 3.x setup.
    i got lots of HW and space for my new ISPConfig environment.

I heard someone talked about gluster-fs to store www and mysql, is that tha way to go, if so are you using gluster-fs clients?
    Install on linux ore ISO appliance?

thanx in advance
    regards
    Marcus

2. Horfic

Horfic Member

3. trexen

trexen Member

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you have a failover-IP address that you can switch between the master and the mirror (e.g. automatically with heartbeat/keepalived/etc. or manually, e.g. from your hoster's control panel), you can achieve high-availability because if the master fails, the mirror can take over.

5. HellMind

HellMind Member

I dont understand how it will work

when you got a site, your domain you got an A NS record pointing to a ip

How the web client knows the new ip?

The domain resolution is cached so chaging it when isnt online will not work

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can either use a loadbalancing software for that. But thats not directly connected the the ispconfig setup, as ispconfig does not need to change any settings in the load balancer.

Another option is a virtual ip address that gets switched automatically to the other server. There are howtos for that available here at howtoforge.

7. trexen

trexen Member

8. HellMind

HellMind Member

Yeah Till,
    Recommend the best method please

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Falko has more experoence with the different kind of loadbalancer setups, so he might recommend a setup. Beside haproxy, there is also the mod_proxy apache module can be used if I remember correctly.

10. HellMind

HellMind Member

Whats about setting the TTL to the minimum

Will it work?

11. falko

No, because most ISPs don't care about the TTL and cache DNS records nevertheless.

I suggest you either get a failover IP (if you have your servers at Hetzner ( www.hetzner.de ), you can order a failover IP there) that you can switch between your servers, or you get a load balancer such as HAProxy.

The problem is that if you just use one load balancer, you don't need a failover IP, but if the load balancer fails, your sites are offline.

If you use two load balancers, you need a failover IP that you can switch between the load balancers, but the advantage is that if one load balancer fails, the other one can take over.

At Hetzner, you have to switch the failover IP manually from their web interface; in this case you don't need the load balancers because it is you who controls the routing of the failover IP.

12. trexen

trexen Member

Ok, i think i got it, but can you recomend a loadbalance/failover solution with 2 servers 1 public IP.

i ask in earlier post about 2 different solution Falco is the author, maybe there is a newer solution you can recomend.

Ore if some have mutch money, bye a F5 appliance box =) best ever but expensive =)

rgds
    //Marcus

13. HellMind

HellMind Member

My isp does not got the ip fail service.
    Can I do it myself?

Also isn't there another way to have HA with ispconfig3 maybe not that good as with a syncronous mirror.

Maybe something that I can activate manually.

If I got 2 openvz hosts im thinking in having a mirror of the ispconfig container.
    So if one dies Or I want to shut down one.

I just ve to turn on the backup container in the host, and it will use the same ip than the original one.

I know It can be done with drdb but it seem too complex for the HA i need, maybe rsync or something like that :S?

14. falko

Probably not.

If you just have one IP, you could use it for a load balancer which then directs the traffic to your backend servers. But if the load balancer fails, then your sites are offline as well.

You could use something like GLusterFS, or you set up NAS with iSCSI and store your containers on the storage server.