ISPConfig 3RC1 - email domain vs. site domain across users

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by Ben, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi till / falko,

this is kind of question / bug. When I have two clients A & B. Client a adds the domain test.com within the email area it is not possible for client b to add the same domain within email.
    That's fine. But does it make sense that Client b may add the domain of client a within it's sites? On one side for sure, if I logically split the functionality of email and web on _one_ domain across two users, but from my point of view this is are more rare szenario than a client (in this case a) owns a domain (in this case test.com) for email as well as for web, dns etc.?!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Normally you wont offer your clients the permission to create new websites at all as you never know who owns a domain. they can always add a domain that is woned by someone else then. Normally sites are created by the admin and ispconfig prevents that the client changes the domain.

Thats not that rare. For example are some companys offering free subdomains of their domain(s) for websites to their clients while they use the main domain for email for their own company. We had this problem several times with ISPConfig 2.

But I agree that we might add some kind of optional lock to prevent the adding of domains where the email domain is owned by another client.

3. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Ah did not check that I can "delegate" the use of a defined domain to a user. Maybe I have to take a more close look at the GUI.

You suggestion would be great!