ISPConfig Admin Panel Subdomain SSL issue

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by intrinsic, Jan 31, 2024.

1. intrinsic

intrinsic New Member

This problem was fixed with the following solution presented in this thread:
    https://forum.howtoforge.com/thread...ng-installation-dns-server-issue.86547/page-2

Esentially you have to disable SSL in
    sudo nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/apps.vhost
    sudo nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/ispconfig.vhost

Comment out the ssl lines as following:
    #ssl_protocols TLSv1.2;
    #ssl_certificate /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.crt;
    #ssl_certificate_key /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.key;

Save/write, and proceed to update ispconfig: ispconfig_update.sh --force

Uncomment the lines in the previous step, and restart nginx. Then check for SSL for the webpanel

Hello ISPconfig family
    I have successfully migrate a multiserver to a single server but now we are encountering an issue. The SSL certificate for the server hostname is self-signing only:

Code:
    Checking / creating certificate for webserver.website.com
    Using certificate path /root/.acme.sh/webserver.website.com
    Using nginx for certificate validation
    acme.sh is installed, overriding certificate path to use /root/.acme.sh/webserver.website.com
    [Tue 30 Jan 2024 06:19:26 PM PST] Invalid status, webserver.website.com:Verify error detail:123.123.123.123: Fetching http://webserver.website.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/0YuIB451234h245yd5m9F5h24EtjL942hg245hVhs: Connection refused
    [Tue 30 Jan 2024 06:19:26 PM PST] Please check log file for more details: /var/log/ispconfig/acme.log
    Issuing certificate via acme.sh failed. Please check that your hostname can be verified by letsencrypt
    Could not issue letsencrypt certificate, falling back to self-signed.
    Generating a RSA private key
    I can access a test.txt file to the http://webserver.website.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/test.txt

The ispconfig update is also having issue as follows:
    Code:
    Operating System: Debian 10.0 (Buster) or compatible

This application will update ISPConfig 3 on your server.

Shall the script create a ISPConfig backup in /var/backup/ now? (yes,no) [yes]:

Creating backup of "/usr/local/ispconfig" directory...
    Creating backup of "/etc" directory...
    Creating backup of "/root/.acme.sh" directory...
    Checking MariaDB version 10.3.39 .. OK
    Checking ISPConfig database .. OK
    Starting incremental database update.
    Loading SQL patch file: /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/sql/incremental/upd_dev_collection.sql
    Reconfigure Permissions in master database? (yes,no) [no]:

Reconfigure Services? (yes,no,selected) [yes]:

Configuring Postfix
    Configuring Dovecot
    Configuring Mailman
    Configuring Spamassassin
    Configuring Amavisd
    Configuring Getmail
    Configuring BIND
    Configuring Pureftpd
    Configuring nginx
    Configuring Apps vhost
    Configuring Jailkit
    Configuring AppArmor
    Configuring Ubuntu Firewall
    Configuring Database
    Updating ISPConfig
    PHP Warning:  symlink(): No such file or directory in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/installer_base.lib.php on line 2957
    Certificate exists. Not creating a new one.
    Reconfigure Crontab? (yes,no) [yes]:
    I have attempted to backup the certificate files in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ as follows in this instruction: https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/panel-not-working-after-upgrade-to-3-2.85971/

I have also tried to update ISPConfig with a new cert using the nightly package, but the results are the same.

If anyone has any insight on properly installing a certificate for the webserver.website.com ISPadmin panel, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  2. intrinsic

intrinsic New Member

Just an update, if i remove the certificates from /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/
    Then webserver nginx fails to run. When running ispconfig_update.sh --force
    The certificate fails because nginx is not running and LE cannot find http://webserver.website.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/
    Is there any workaround for this?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Restore the certs that you removed. It should have probably worked if you did not restart nginx before running the ispconfig update to create new certs. Alternatively, you can try to temporarily remove the symlink for the ispconfig.vhost from nginx sites-enabled directory.

The migration does not alter this cert, so I wonder how you made this fail in the first place as this might give some insights on how to fix this. There is no website in ISPConfig for webserver.website.com, right? you can check that e.g. with "ls -la /var/www | grep webserver.website.com". And the command "hostname -f" returns "webserver.website.com"?