ISPConfig and 42go

Discussion in 'General' started by paul-w, Oct 1, 2005.

1. paul-w

paul-w New Member

What, if any, is the connection between ISPConfig and 42go?

Till Brehm and Falko Timme seem to be associated with both.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The relationship is similar as between RedHat and Fedora. ISPConfig is free, it is used to test new features before they go into 42go, but therefore it is possible that it is not that stable as 42go and might also contain more bugs.
    42go is tested much more and therefore contains fewer bugs.

3. domino

domino New Member

So basically we are bleeding edge beta testers for 42go. I don't mind that at all since I run developer boxes that span across 2 continents :).

4. falko

I wouldn't say that ISPConfig is beta. Its code base is nearly the same than in 42go, so it's already very stable.
    If we were looking for beta testers, then we would have released a beta version for 42go that is valid only for a certain period, e.g. 6 months, instead of launching a project like ISPConfig which is under a BSD license which basically means "Take it and do with it whatever you want.".
    I think the main difference between ISPConfig and 42go is in terms of support. For 42go you can have professional support from projektfarm GmbH, whereas for ISPConfig you must use these forums (or ask Till or me to do support for you... :D ).

5. domino

domino New Member

Hmm, If we aren't getting professional support here, I wonder what kind of support you give over at the paid script. You fly over to our workplace and fix it yourself? :D Seriously, the support you and till give on this forum is nothing less than professional.

6. ctroyp

ctroyp New Member HowtoForge Supporter

I was viewing this thread only to gain understanding between the two packages. But after reading this message I wanted to further say that I completely agree that Falko and Till provide some of the best support that I've had. They also respond promtly.

So here's to you Falko and Till, thanks for making the ISPConfig product available and for your support. What goes around comes around...;)

7. webstergd

webstergd ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I also wanted to thank falko and till. The support is amazing. At work we have paid many huge companies to support their products and the support most of the time does not even come close to what you provide. Honesty you guys are saints. Thank you again

8. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

I must concur with the previous chaps/lasses on their appropriate commendation of the two main influences in this forum. till and falko, my hat's off to you. You are our guides, perhaps even our friends. Corporate giants such as "D!ll" and Micro$haft could learn a lot from your exemplary flair for actually providing end user support for your products (of which ISPC is free to boot, I might add). I guess that's the beauty of the GNU/Open-Source mindset.

I don't really talk like that, but again, thank you so much guys for all your hard work! Thanks for holding our hands through every little thing. I can see you guys smacking your heads at some of our dumb questions! :p

9. falko

I wouldn't really assist that. Sometimes even I have problems with Linux or Linux applications, and then I post it to the appropriate forum/mailing list, but guess what: nobody cares! :mad:

10. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Well you guys are certainly a breed apart, as you obviously do care. Too bad not everyone is the same. I know how you feel though. So far I have been fairly satisfied with the Ubuntu Forums, but it is difficult at times as many ppl miss the point entirely. That's human nature I guess. :rolleyes:

11. Traxus

Traxus New Member

I can but agree, I experianced honest attempts to help, and the patience given is above the average I have seen in other open source forums and groups. And, last but not least, ISPConfig works quite well.