ISPConfig and Debian 7.9 -> 8 upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by nijou, Jan 15, 2016.

1. nijou

nijou New Member

Hello,
    I decided to upgrade my quite old Debian 7.9 Wheezy to 8 Jessie.
    • Are there any issues that I should be aware of?
    • Does ISPConfig need any special treatment before upgrading? I mean - backing up all ISPConfig settings etc?
    cheers, nijou

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The steps are:

1) Upgrade Debian
    2) Download the ispconfig tar.gz, unpack it and run the update.php script in the install folder. Choose to reconfigure services during update.
    3) Login to ispconfig, go to tools > resync, select websites and run a resync to update the website config from apache 2.2 to 2.4 syntax.

3. nijou

nijou New Member

Thanks Till for your prompt reply.
    Can the step 2) be replaced by using the command "ispconfig_update.sh"?

4. till

Depends on the ISPConfig update state of your server. The update_sh command will stop when your system is already updated.

5. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I just did upgrade debian 7 > 8 without big issues.
    I did not run update.sh but had to do some rewriting of "deny/allow from all" rules in apache-config ( changed in 2.4 ).

You might also want to check htaccess files of your hosted sites for manually added directory protections, they either won't work or give an error when requesting that site.

6. till

This was only necessary because you missed the ispconfig update and resync of the sites. The ispconfig update detects the apache version and rewrites the ispconfig config files and the website resync does the same for all website vhosts.

7. ztk.me

ok, thank you. Would it also rewrite all other config files like postfix, pureftpd and such? Would it fail when immutable is set?
    And what about .htaccess files in web-folders - it shouldn't touch those but admin still should make sure their customers are informed or depending on service make sure they still work after upgrading apache.

8. till

A config upgrade will upgrade all config files, there might be more nescessary changes, not just apache. When immutable is set then the file will not get updated, but It is not recommended to set files to immutable, better store a modified template file in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/install/

.htaccess file are not written or managed by ISPConfig, so customers have to handle them on their own.

9. ztk.me

yes, my mistake - I shouldn't recommend the average person followed the perfect setup to not follow the ISPConfig way to upgrade systems :D
    Not everyone likes to fiddle on their own or like to customize everything on their own like I do ^^
    ISPConfig was my choice because it didn't frequently changed important config files like plesk did for example, also I prefer open source over closed source from companies who don't take security serious :D

Ah I'm talking again - after all in this case, some apache settings needs adjustment everything else works perfectly fine, didn't test/have mailman though.
    Oh and of course I recompiled jailkit - there has been some updates btw. HOWTO still suggests 2.17 if I'm correct whereas 2.19 is current stable