ISPConfig as Mail server

Discussion in 'General' started by cybereatl, Jan 22, 2008.

1. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Hi folks,

I got a general question, this days am planning to install Zimbra http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.html mail server to manage email services only, this is due to Godaddy email services which blocks any email who has sent spam in the past including ip addresses from ISP which means that many people can be block just for one person who did spam.

The purpose it's create mail records to point to my server, just for mail, am installing Fedore Core 7.

Now the questions, ISPConfig can be used as mail server only?

What records should I add to my IP address to route mail?

Thank you for your advise.

Regards :rolleyes:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. But not together with zimbra on the same server as they use different ways to configure mail accounts and you will have to do the complete perfect setup with apache etc. first and disable the unneeded services after you installed ISPConfig.

Another possibility is to have a look at the upcoming ISPConfig 3, the mailserver part of ISPCOnfig 3 is already fairly stable and brings some nice features. I use it for one of my mail servers already. There will be a new pre release in a few days thats much better then the current alpha 3.

3. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Thank you for your reply Till,

Am processign the perfect fedora core 7 installation and I was having some issues with the system so I got a new hard drive and install Fedora 7, and now it's presenting this error starting named:

[root@mailman ~]# /etc/init.d/named on
    Locating /var/named/chroot//etc/named.conf failed.
    I can't find any configuration file. You can create it by system-config-bind
    or install caching-nameserver.
    [FAILED]
    [root@mailman ~]#

Also I've did:

[root@mailman ~]# updatedb
    [root@mailman ~]# locate named.conf
    /etc/dbus-1/system.d/named.conf
    /usr/share/doc/bind-9.4.2/sample/etc/named.conf
    /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services/named.conf
    /usr/share/man/man5/named.conf.5.gz

After that I did:
    [root@mailman ~]# gedit /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
    and the file it's empty

Then I've did:

[root@mailman ~]# ls -ls /var/named/chroot
    total 12
    4 drwxr-x--- 2 root named 4096 2008-01-25 09:59 dev
    4 drwxr-xr-x 2 root named 4096 2008-01-25 09:59 etc
    4 drwxr-xr-x 5 root named 4096 2008-01-25 09:59 var

So far..... no luck.... any hints?? :(

Txs :rolleyes:

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Do you plan to host your own DNS records, or are they managed by someone else (e.g. your domain registrar)? In the latter case you don't need to start BIND.

5. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Hi Falko, long time no see, wish you success for 2008 !!!

In fact, am using my registrant service wich allows me to install several websites in my hosting account just adding a domain and creating a folder on the server space hired, but I got issues with emails, becuase Godaddy's email service blocks anyone who has sent spam and at the end I can't receive too many emails, also web interface it's very heavy.

I'll use it only for email purposes, also want to know what records needs to be added on server to point email records.

Thx for your help :)

6. till

For email, you need a A-record for the servers hostname and MX records for the mail domains.

7. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Ok, I did not configure Bind, I went to install and I got this:

/usr/bin/make
    OK

########## lex ##########

which: no lex in (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/libexec)
    ERROR: flex not found!
    [root@mailman install_ispconfig]#

Any ideas?? :eek:

8. till

What do you think that this error means ;) The software package named "flex" is missing. Please install the flex package from your linux distribution.

By the way, if you follow the perfect setup guide, you will circumvent all theese problems as the guide describes the installation of all packages needed by ispconfig.

9. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Hi till,

I know it was a silly question, but for some reason I need it to reboot in order to yum -y install flex will run, also on Add/Remove programs was not shown....

One more question, since am going to use it for mail purposes and bind was not configured what should I type on domain ??

Am trying with ip address 192.168.1.111 and comes out "unable to reach host" and get back to ask for those details, only goes thru when I type:

localhost
    localdomain

but at the end of install shows http://localhost.localdomain:81 :eek:

As you can see, I mess up somewhere....

Thanks for the hints.

Regards,

10. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    ifconfig
    ? What's in /etc/hosts?

11. bigben

bigben New Member

mail only

As I'm planing to reinstall my old mail server I tried ISPConfig, but I found something not very nice:
    If I got it right, all emails accoutn have to start with web1_ or web2_ ... and before my users have firstname.lastname accounts, so it will be too much work... I'd like to keep the same user names, is there a way to do that with ISPConfig?

Sorry, for this post, I found it right now: in Administration>Server>Parameters>ISP Management>User Prefix

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  12. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Am trying to bring my system back on line, for some reason after installing ISPConfig and trying log in to admin, system wont came up after all...

I'll let you guys know once my system get back in track

13. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Hello Again,

I just reload my system and am having some problems with quota:

[root@localhost admin]# touch /aquota.user /aquota.group
    [root@localhost admin]# chmod 600 /aquota.*
    [root@localhost admin]# mount -o remount /
    [root@localhost admin]# quotacheck -avugm
    bash: quotacheck: command not found

I've did:
    [root@localhost admin]# yum -y install quota
    fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
    updates 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
    primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 2.3 MB 00:03
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    Package quota - 1:3.14-1.fc7.i386 is already installed.
    Nothing to do

Also here is content of fstab:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

Any ideas will be appreciated!!

Regards, :eek:

14. falko

Try
    Code:
    /sbin/quotacheck -avugm
    or log in as root directly.

15. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Thanks Falko,

I've forgot doing it over root user.

Am installing ISPConfig, let's see how it goes. ;)

16. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Ok, after installing my system again, finally I've ISPConfig running, here is an screenshot:

BIND is offline for being used as email server only, now my next question what should I add to my domain name in godaddy's to point to my ISPConfig?

Thank you :)

Attached Files:

17. till

If you only want to use your server as mailserver, create a DNS A-Record for the hostname of your server pointing to the IP address of the server and then create a MX record for your domain pointing to ths hostname of the server.

18. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

hello, again... this ISPConfig now it's not loading access window, just stay like were loading but never gets there.... seems like an startX bug, but I've tried in another computer thinking maybe was a video problem, but I've tried on a different server and error repeats...

By the way on previous post some one mention about user prefix web[WEBID]_ how's to change to user email address??

Any ideas??

19. falko

Any errors in the error log in /root/ispconfig/httpd/logs?

20. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

here is the error log:

[Tue Mar 4 17:10:14 2008] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Tue Mar 4 17:10:14 2008] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
    [Tue Mar 4 17:13:45 2008] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
    [Tue Mar 4 17:16:57 2008] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Tue Mar 4 17:16:57 2008] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
    [Tue Mar 4 19:02:09 2008] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
    [Tue Mar 4 19:03:35 2008] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Tue Mar 4 19:03:36 2008] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
    [Wed Mar 5 09:43:03 2008] [error] [client 200.122.134.129] Invalid method in request \\x16\\x03\\x01
    [Wed Mar 5 09:57:38 2008] [error] [client 200.122.134.129] Invalid method in request \\x16\\x03\\x01
    [Wed Mar 5 10:00:21 2008] [error] [client 200.122.134.129] Invalid method in request \\x16\\x03\\x01
    [Wed Mar 5 10:07:12 2008] [error] [client 200.122.134.129] Invalid method in request \\x16\\x03\\x01
    [Wed Mar 5 11:15:52 2008] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
    [Wed Mar 5 11:17:18 2008] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Wed Mar 5 11:17:18 2008] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)

Thank you ;)