ISPConfig Debian 11 to Debian 12

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Pierrot727, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Pierrot727

Pierrot727 Member

Hi folks,

I am looking for a howto from Debian 11 to Debian 12 including the update of ISP Config to the new version supporting ... Debian 12.

I have already try to look bu myself and i didn't found it so perhaps, i have missed something.

Thanks for your help,

Regards

P.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

We have not finished that guide yet, but it's on the way.

vk3heg and ahrasis like this.
  3. Pierrot727

Pierrot727 Member

Thank so much :)

4. slagroom

slagroom Member

Bookworm (12) is pretty bleeding edge, but it offers PHP 8.2 by default, which is nice, and it has deprecated syslog, which is way beyond innovative, but you can easily fix that using apt install rsyslog, but then don't forget to
    rm -rf /var/log/journal
    because if you don't you'll be double-logging almost everything.
    Other than that, I had no issues upgrading to debian 12.

5. HSorgYves

HSorgYves Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

@till Should the autoinstaller delete /var/log/journal then?

6. till

Yes, I guess we should remove that folder.

7. HSorgYves

But only for Debian 12 isn't it?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  8. till

Yes. I already checked the internet to see if there is a better way to achieve this, but it seems as this is a commonly used way.

9. HSorgYves

I have read around and I think it is a bad idea to cut the logging system from systemd. Besides syslogd can get it's information from journald.

However when we delete /var/log/journal, then we only cut the persistent storage of journald and the data will be stored in /run/log/journal. However /run is a tmpfs so we don't store data twice. The difference with Debian 12 is that /var/log/journal gets created and initialised to have persistent storage (as rsyslog is no longer installed by default).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  10. till

Disabling a service by removing the folder it tries to write to does not look right indeed, even if people seem to do it like this. We might indeed wait if there is a better solution. Probably we have to add support for journald in ISPConfig over the long run.

11. HSorgYves

It seems to be the right way as it only disabled the persistent storage and not the service itself. journald has been running since Debian 9 at least, but without the folder and so had only temporary storage. We can also modify the conf file to disable persistent storage if you prefer that way... just let me know and I create the merge request.

12. till

Ok, so let's just delete the folder for now.

13. HSorgYves

till likes this.
  14. till

Thanks a lot!

15. slagroom

slagroom Member

FYI, debian dev itself instructed users to delete the folder. It's in their forums. Realizing it was rather bleeding edge to get rid of syslog altogether, they instructed me and others to just reinstall rsyslog and deleting that folder would be sufficient because that way you're indeed not destroying journald.

16. till

17. Gixxa42

Gixxa42 New Member

Hello everyone I followed the tutorial and everything works but I do get one warning when I use "apt update":

note, I had to remove the "https://" because I'm not allowed to post urls.

I've been searching but I seem to only find Ubuntu installs with similar problems.

18. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Did that warning show only once?
    If it continues to show, you have not changed the release in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rspamd.list, or have not updated/installed the repository key.

19. Gixxa42

Gixxa42 New Member

@Taleman

Shows it every time. I tried this step form the perfect server Debian 12:

howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-12-buster-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-2/#-install-email-filter-and-signing-software-rspamd-and-clamav

it worked but I still get the warning. Not sure how how should update the repo key.

20. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

So you have Debian 12 now? Show contents of file
    Code:
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rspamd.list