ISPConfig DNS Network Solutions

Discussion in 'General' started by jameschump, Mar 16, 2009.

1. jameschump

jameschump New Member

Hello,

I am fairly new to setting up DNS solo on my own and wondered if I could get answers to probably a simple questions. I have set up a static IP address with Time Warner, and have registered a domain through Network solutions. I have installed CenstOS 5.2 on my server with ISPconfig successfully (thanks to HowtoForge's wonderful tutorials by the way). I have set up everything to what I think is correct in the ISPconfig control panel but not sure if I am using the correct IP information provided by Time Warner. The information provided to me looks like this:

Network Address: 98.xxx.xx.xx/xx
    Network Mask: 255.255.xxx.xxx
    Default Gateway (TWC Router): 98.xxx.xx.xx
    Available Address(s): 98.xxx.xx.xx
    Primary DNS Server: 24.xx.x.xx
    Secondary DNS Server: 24.xx.x.xx

I have setup ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com through ISP config, but when providing those two to Network solutions, which IP address information do I provide to them and use to set up in ISPconfig in order to make the correct link so everything sets up correctly? Primary DNS Server and Secondary DNS Server. Probably a very dumb question but not having luck with this setup. Thanks!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. jameschump

jameschump New Member

I read http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy and it says i need two servers with two different public IP addresses and with ISPConfig installed. With the information provided above:
    Network Address: 98.xxx.xx.xx/xx
    Network Mask: 255.255.xxx.xxx
    Default Gateway (TWC Router): 98.xxx.xx.xx
    Available Address(s): 98.xxx.xx.xx
    Primary DNS Server: 24.xx.x.xx
    Secondary DNS Server: 24.xx.x.xx

Do I have what I need to do this? Or do I need another Network Address? Or is the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS addresses what I need? Thanks for your help?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

What you posted is the IP address for one server. Now you need also a second server with a different IP address.

5. jameschump

jameschump New Member

Excelent! Thank you very much. I have ordered additional static IP address from my my second server, now the question is do I set up the second server exactly the same at the first (except with different IP of course). When I mean set up, this also would include ISPConfig as well?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff