ISPConfig DNS "Offline"

Discussion in 'General' started by bnovak, Oct 9, 2007.

1. bnovak

bnovak New Member

New install of Fedora 7 Perfect Server & ISPconfig. Everything seems to install OK. Created DNS entry for ISP Server and can DIG. Used DNS Manager to create individual DNS records for two sites. On restart of system "BIND-Server" is Offline, and won't respond to Restart requests

Any suggestions for a fix would be greatly appreciated!

2. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

I dont think you can use DNS manager and ISPConfig at the same time... all DNS entries would need to be created through ISPConfig and nothing else.

Thanks

3. bnovak

bnovak New Member

DNS created within ISPConfig via Management > Settings > DNS. Created Master & Slave entries via DNS Manager > New Master/Slave respectively. All items were created while within ISPConfig. BIND-Server Offline!!!!!

Still open to suggestions!

4. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Is there anything in the logs

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ? Do you get any error messages when you restart BIND?
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/named restart
    Any errors in your logs?

6. bnovak

bnovak New Member

Resolved the BIND-Server "Offline" issue. Still not out of the woods though!

I can get to the ISPConfig system remotely using https://www.sitename.com:81/ but I cannot reach the actual website at http://www.sitemane.com/

I have created the site and can actually FTP content, but can't see it via a browser.

7. bnovak

bnovak New Member

I can see all of the sites while on the same side of the router to the server. No luck when out in the wide world! Doesn't look like ISPConfig is the problem. I guess I've just screwed up the DNS records somehow. Can anyone suggest where to get some help with these records?

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If your server is behind a router. make sure that you selected the internal and not the external IP address for the website.

If you post the real domain name, we can have a look at your dns records with the dig command.

9. bnovak

bnovak New Member

10. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please make sure that your router forwards port 80 to your ISPConfig server, and that your ISP doesn't block port 80.

11. bnovak

bnovak New Member

I guess based on your response that the "dig" showed the DNS records to be OK!

My router is configured to forward to port 80. In fact, I can access ISPConfig on the server through port 81.

All things considered, my ISP must be blocking port 80 otherwise things should be working. Right?

How can I determine if the ISP is blocking 80?

12. bnovak

bnovak New Member

I contacted the ISP support and they assured me that port 80 is not blocked. We are back to the DNS records I suspect.

Any feedback on the results of the "dig" would be appreciated!

13. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

14. bnovak

bnovak New Member

Moved server to static IP address and waited 48-hours to mature DNS and everything seems to work now!

Thanks to all for taking the time to assist!:)