ispconfig/dns question

Discussion in 'General' started by meomike2000, Nov 14, 2008.

1. meomike2000

meomike2000 New Member

Say I have 2 servers with ispconfig installed on them called s1 and s2 and my domain is called domain.net. I have one static ip address from my isp. that points to a server called dns.domain.net. Request come in like this: first to dns.domain.net then to s1.domain.net, and s2.domain.net. is there a way to get ispconfig to input the info in the named.conf and zone files on dns.domain.net or will i have to always modify the named.conf file and the zone files on dns.domain.net myself to add new sites and zones. Also I used bind9 on the server dns. Also all systems are running ubuntu server edition 8.04.1. and the 2 ispconf servers s1 and s2 were setup via the perfect server setup from howtoforge.
    As I am still new to dns and ispconf, it helps to see examples with the explanation.
    :confused:
    tia..... mike

2. meomike2000

meomike2000 New Member

An Idea that I have.......

I have thought that maybe I could make my dns master (dns.domain.net) the slave for s1 and s2, and that would give the updates to zone files as changed, but I would still have to set up the original zones and zone files on dns.domain.net first right. Could still use a little help trying to figure this out.

tia..... mike

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That's right.

http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto_p8

4. meomike2000

meomike2000 New Member

one more question

That is what I had thought, but what would have to happen if I were to add a new domain like testdomain.net. would that get updated as well with this setup or would I have to add the slave zone entry on the slave server? How would that work?

tia...... Mike

is there a good dns management software similar to what is inside ispconf that i can install on my dns server.

Also my setups with ispconfig always erase my reverse zones, where the PTR records are.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You'd have to create the slave zone in named.conf manually (like in the link I posted).