ISPConfig Domain Name

Discussion in 'General' started by thebigtime, May 14, 2008.

1. thebigtime

thebigtime New Member

When I add a new domain name it shows up in ISPConfig and in /var/www.
    ex. www.example.com, www.example2.com have their own folders.

However, when I type in www.example.com in my browser, it resolves, but it resolves to an index file located in the /var/www/ folder.

How can I get domains to resolve to the domain thats entered in the browser instead of the server root?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please make sure that you seleted the correct IP address for the website. If your server is within a NAT enviroment, you will have to use the internal and not external IP address.

3. thebigtime

thebigtime New Member

I am trying to host a site so the public would have access to it. My router forwards HTTP, and DNS requests to the IP of my server. So it sounds like thats what your suggesting.

If not, where would I change the adress that you are suggesting?

I tried to change it in ISPConfig and it still takes me to the same index file of the server.

Shouldn't there be some sort of script or DNS setting that would automatically translate the requested domain name to the root folder of that particular domain instead of the server root?

Where do I need to edit to resolve this issue?

4. thebigtime

thebigtime New Member

Does anyone know the answer for this?

Any help at all would be great appreciated.

Thanks

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In your case, you will have to use the internal IP address for the website. It must be the same IP address that you forwarded port 80n to in your router.

6. thebigtime

thebigtime New Member

Thanks for the reply,

When I use the internal IP adress (of the server), its still the same thing. It takes me to the root of the server on my lan (ex. 192.168.1.102). I can see the new domain names when I create them in ISPConfig, in /var/www/www.example.com

Thats fine. But when I type the domain into the browser it takes me to the root of the server. Ex. /var/www. (So when I am in the browser I see the root of my server with folder like (localhost, sharedip, www.example.com and so on). If I type in www.example.com it takes me to the root of the server. The domains are not resolving to their appropriate folder.

To get to www.example.com the url will look similar to this.

www.example.com/www.example.com/web/index.html. Thats how it looks in the browser If I want to get to the root of a site.

Which file decides where to send domain names once they are resolved by DNS?

In other words, which file maps domain names to a specific folder? How does the domain name know how to go to /var/www ? If its just the matter of changind some configurations please let me know where.

I have to get this to be configured to host multiple domains. Any help will be appreciated..

Thanks

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That's Vhosts_ispconfig.conf. Please post the contents of that file as well as the output of
    Code:
    ifconfig