ISPConfig Emptying My Group File

Discussion in 'General' started by dntmedia, Aug 7, 2017.

1. dntmedia

dntmedia New Member

This started with ISPConfig 2 back in January and has continued on through the latest upgrade (3.1). It's done it three times this morning and I'm all but ready to call it quits unless someone can point me in the right direction. Whenever I make a change to the anything involving my sites (activating/deactivating, adding SSL, adding a new site), my group file is basically emptied and consequently all of my services on Apache go down. Once I restore the group file, it works well until I have to make another change. It's been a 50-50 proposition since January but in the last five days (since the upgrade to 3.1), it's been more 95-5 that it will happen.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the issue here? It's ISPConfig 3.1 on an upgraded Debian 7 box.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

First, ISPConfig 2 and 3 are completely different software packages, they have nothing in common except of the word "ISPConfig", ISPConfig 3 shares no code with ISPConfig 2 and you can't even update from ISPConfig 2 to 3 directly, so the exact same problem that might have occurred in ISPConfig 2 can not exist in ISPConfig 3. ISPConfig 2 is also not supported for nearly ten years now and not installable on any current Linux distribution, so I really wonder where you installed that old code in january as you would e.g. need Debian 5 or older to even run the ISPConfig 2 installer.

While this problem was possible in ISPConfig 2 as a race condition when someoene edits the file at the same time manually, it can not happen on ISPConfig 3 systems anymore as ISPConfig 3 is not editing the group file directly for this exact reason. ISPConfig 3 is using the Linux group editing commands to modify groups, so when this would happen, then it's a failure in these commands and not in ISPConfig.

Did you check your password and group files for inconsistencies with these commands?

pwck
    grpck

3. dntmedia

dntmedia New Member

Then it was an old version of ISPConfig 3 that I had. I didn't bother to lookup the numbers, my apologizes for not taking the time to research the versions before I post.

Since I've restored this thing at least 15 times from a backup, there are inconsistencies I'm sure. Is that the problem?

4. till

As I said, the files are not edited by ISPConfig, they are edited by the user and group Linux system commands which are delivered by the Linux distribution that you use. If the files are damaged in a way that the Linux system commands can not edit them, then it is possible of course that these commands fail to edit them and produce an empty file. Run the commands I mentioned to check that the files are consistent.

5. dntmedia

dntmedia New Member

The inconsistencies have been cleaned and it just did it again.

6. dntmedia

dntmedia New Member

I think I have it isolated to blowing up whenever we make changes involving SSL.

7. till

Use the debug mode to find out what happens on your server.