ispconfig error log

Discussion in 'General' started by Matus Uhlar, Jul 19, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Matus Uhlar

Matus Uhlar New Member

Hi guys,
    are there any error logs for ispconfig produced?

I have modified BIND DNS data and I see:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root bind 896 2022-07-19 06:41:01.762712116 +0200 pri.ispconfig-test.example.com.err
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root bind 837 2022-07-19 06:41:01.774712439 +0200 pri.ispconfig-test.example.com

Is there a way to see what is the error?

I've had similar problem with apache yesterday when I changed PHP version for a site

thanks

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can find the ispconfig error.log in /var/log/ispconfig and also in the monitor module of the ISPConfig UI. You can increase log verbosity under System > Server config by changing the log level and then you can also use debug mode:

https://www.faqforge.com/linux/debugging-ispconfig-3-server-actions-in-case-of-a-failure/

In regard to the error above, the most likely reason is that the A-Records of that zone are subdomains of the same zone, which requires that you add A-Records for the NS records as well, which you probably missed adding. You can get the detailed error message from BIND by using named-checkzone command, run against the .err zone file.

3. Matus Uhlar

Matus Uhlar New Member

Thank you, did it. I can see debug messages in Monitor / System State / System-Log, but only since this change.

However, I see the old error message in database dump:

zone ispconfig-test.example.com/IN: NS 'ns1.example.com.ispconfig-test.example.com' has no address records (A or AAAA)
    zone ispconfig-test.example.com/IN: not loaded due to errors.

the issue was in missing trailing dot in NS record.

I am now curious why can't I see this in the interface

Thank you, will (try to) remember.

4. Matus Uhlar

Matus Uhlar New Member

I see the proper records in "Data log history", however the status is always "ok" and the message is not shown in the web interface

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The whole log info is available in the web interface too, see monitor module. What's in the log depends on the log level that you have chosen.

When looking at the database directly, I recommend reading the source code as well before drawing conclusions. As the 'ok' field for example is not used at all by ISPConfig, it's an unused remnant database column.

6. Matus Uhlar

Matus Uhlar New Member

I have changed System / Server Config / Loglevel to "Warning" and tried to enter invalid data to DNS.
    I can see them in Monitor / System-Log now.

I also can view the error when editing the zone file in "Zone settings" tab.

Error is not shown when viewing "Data log history" entries, although it is contained there, but the above should be enough.

I'm not very good at RTFS...

Thank you very much.