ISPConfig 'forgets' user password

Discussion in 'General' started by pjdevries, Jan 19, 2009.

1. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

I'm running ISPConfig 2.2.27. One of my clients has a website/domain with two user accounts. For one of those accounts, ISPConfig seems to 'forget' the password every so often. The user can access her e-mail for weeks on end, until suddenly the password is no longer accepted. After I manually reset the password, the problem disappears and the user is able to access her e-mail once again for an indefinit period.

Is this a known problem? Can it be solved?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no such problem known. You can take a look at the ispconfig.log to see when this account gets changed. The behaviour you describe can e.g. happen when someone uses autofille features which are builtin in most browsers which can result in an autofill of a wrong password when the account is edited.

3. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know exactly how to interpret ispconfig.log, but at first glance I don't see anything unexpected. These are the last couple of lines:

I assume the last three lines, dated 19.01.2009, ar a result from me resetting the password this morning. Other than that, I don't see any lines that indicate some kind of account change.

I don't think the problem is caused by the browser problem you describe, because this particular client is not very computer educated and doesn't use ISPConfig herself.

Any other suggestions?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow look ok when this happens, or do they somehow look "mixed up"?

5. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "mixed up", but as far as I can tell, they both look ok.

6. till

Please check the password and group files with the commands:

pwck

and

grpck

7. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

This is what pwck -r reports:

Apparantly there is no web25 (anymore) so I guess I can safely delete the line 'web25_guus:x:::::/dev/null'.

What is the function of the 'ispconfigend' line?

grpck -r reports nothing.

8. till

Yes.

It defines the end of userid range which is reserved for ispconfig. This prevents that new users created with other linux tools e.g. when a new softeare is installed collide with ispconfig users.

9. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

Thanx. So other than the strange web26_guus entry, nothing serious is going on, is there?

10. till

I dont think so, the output looks fine.

11. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

O.k. I created a new user account for the user involved, so let's wait and see what happens now.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

12. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member Moderator

If it happens again, you can try to e.g. write some kind of surveillance script that creates a diff of the passwd and shadow file hourly as cronjob, so you will be able to get an idea when there is something changed and then try to dind e.g. cronjobs that might have changed it or get an idea if you used any special application at that time etc.