ISPConfig - How To Use It?

Discussion in 'General' started by chancer, Sep 17, 2007.

1. chancer

chancer New Member

I've just changed this thread to a technical question: I'm getting this error both on the site which holds ISPC at http://www.mysite.co.uk and on a site with the same content, no ISPC, at http://www.mysite.net:
    Code:
    Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/var/www/web21/web/index.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in Unknown on line 0
    How does pear get in there? There are no blank lines at the top of the page, which starts off with a doctype statement.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The error you got is in a PHP script that does not belong to ISPConfig. ISPConfig can not be installed in one of its own sites, ISPConfig must stay in its own webserver on port 81 as the setup script installed it.

To your PHP script /var/www/web21/web/index.php: Please change the permissions of the file so that the webserver user can read the file.

3. chancer

chancer New Member

Thank you, till. This is probably the most important information I have received so far, and hard as I looked it is the first time I have seen it. Thank you. Thank you.

OK, without moving it, ISPConfig was installed on username.vm.suppliername.tld and the first site I installed was my1stsite.co.uk - my1stsite holds my brand name. (OK, it's not a brand, it's brand new, but you get the idea). ISPConfig can be found at https://my1stsite.co.uk:81 and I can log in no problem. Is there anything wrong with using it like this so I can present my clients with my own brand rather than my supplier's, in the address they use to visit ther CPs?

If that is a bad way to use it, can I uninstall, reinstall on my1stsite.co.uk and still be able to control the sites I have already set up from within it, giving each client a control panel from my1stsite.co.uk?

It is too late to go through the whole process of a complete reinstall. I don't think I'd have any clients let to offer a CP to! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the permissions tip on the php file - I'll check all the others while I'm at it!

4. chuckl

chuckl New Member

I think you are possibly missing an important point about ISPConfig. When you install, a completely separate web server is installed for ISPConfig. Because of this, ISPConfig does not use any part of the default web server on the machine, it simply writes the config files for it, and for the sites hosted on that web server.
    In order for someone to access the ISPConfig server, they cannot use port 80, as it is being used by the 'main' server, and port 81 is used instead.
    So ANY traffic on port 81 is routed to the ISPConfig web server, whether you use the IP address or the url of any site on the machine, because it is on port 81, it will end up at the ISPConfig web server. i.e. to connect to the admin, webmail or whatever, use any url on the box, but use port 81.

As Till said, the error message you were getting is on the main server, so it is nothing to do with ISPConfig. It looks like an suexec error, indicating that that index.php file should have 644 or 444 permissions.

5. chancer

chancer New Member

I like it. I like it very much. :)

Thanks, chuckl. It is all much clearer now.

By the way, the PHP error message was a separate issue. I changed the permissions as soon as I saw till's reply and that problem is sorted out. I had used ssh connections to move sites from the old to the new server, forgetting to allow the server to serve! :eek: