ISPConfig .htaccess problems.

Discussion in 'General' started by Code5, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Code5

Code5 New Member

Hi all, i seem to be having a problem with creating a .htaccess file so that i can let the public read and list directories and files within a site such as www.mydomain.com/files/

Every time i upload a .htaccess file it transfers then disappears. Its really stressing as ive tried this numerous times. I even used the ispconfig access control and it worked for the user/pass auth but then denied for directory and file listing.

Any ideas how i can solve this little problem?

Im running Ubuntu Server 8 and ISPConfig, setup using Ubuntu perfect server, etc etc.

Many thanks.

2. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

After uploading the .htaccess file, it does not disappear, but it is hidden.

Make sure that the use of .htaccess files is allowed, by adding the following to the Apache directives field within ISPConfig for that site:
    <Directory "/var/www/web#/web">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
    </Directory>

Note: web# is the webnumber as created by ISPConfig.

Alternative:
    Allow the use of .htaccess files on your server globaly, by changing AllowOverride None into AllowOverride All within your Apache configuration file.
    Restart Apache afterwards.

3. Code5

Code5 New Member

Thanks

One last thing, lol, where would i locate the apache2 config file, and what is the name of the file?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  4. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

On Debian it is /etc/apache2/apache2.conf but can be differenet on other Linux versions.