ISPconfig IMAP slower than naked install

Discussion in 'General' started by DHDSP, May 26, 2008.

1. DHDSP

DHDSP New Member

Hi everyone,

some time ago , I did a test install of ispconfig (around december) on Etch running as a VM on ESX. Right now I don't seem to find the version number of ispconfig in the control panel though.

A direct comparison of the IMAP speeds shows an extremely slow IMAP of the ispconfig machine. (getting 1200 SPAM-Mails takes about 5 minutes - Ethernet connected). A physical Debian machine does this in seconds.

I took a look at the imap config: MAXDAEMONS = 40 , and MAXPERIP = 20 , so that seems OK. CPU load is under 1% for IMAP.

Is this some kind of "feature" of ispconfig ?

TIA
    Peter

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig writes just config files, not more and not less, so the speed of deamons has nothing to do with ISPConfig. For example, ISPConfig is no IMAP server and does not provide IMAP services at all. Your IMAP server is e.g. courier or dovecot or cyrus or any other imap daemon.

Tools > Software version. But as stated above, this has nothing to do with your problem.

Are you sure that the problem is related to IMAP at all? Maybe you enabled spam and antivirus scanning?

3. DHDSP

DHDSP New Member

Hi Till,

thank you for the answer. Now I probably did not write what I was thinking ;)

I know ISPConfig only writes the config files for the separate daemons - but I was thinking more in the lines of load protetion or firewall rules. Or bandwidth management or something.

And to answer the question: yes I have spamprotection and antivirus activated. But I thought the spamfiltering and antivirus checking takes place as the mail enters the server?

TIA
    Peter

4. till

ISPConfig does not add any load protection configuration or advanced iptables filtering. The firewall just opens / closes ports with iptables and the IMAP daemon is not configuret at all by ISPConfig.

Yes.

What did you do exactly which causes too much time? You posted above that you got 1200 spam mails. If a mail is received on your server, it is scanned trough postfix and procmail.

Aditionally, which imap daemon do you use. Did you use the exact same daemon software and version for your other test?

5. DHDSP

DHDSP New Member

Ok. Now I installed the Vmware tools (Aaargh... forgot to install them), and I think the speed improved.
    Now I have to find a way to compare the speeds objectively.

CU
    Peter

6. till

What exactly do you want to measure? the speed of the imap server alone or the speed of the complete mail receive process including spam and antivirus scanning?

7. DHDSP

DHDSP New Member

After a couple of users complained about the speed of checking mails per IMAP, I would like to test this objectively. So just the IMAP service.

CU
    Peter

8. till