ISPconfig in a home network

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by zenny, Dec 20, 2006.

1. zenny

zenny Member

I am new to ISPconfig and networking.

I installed a home network with an openvz machine. The HN (hardware node) of the machine serves as a firewall (shorewall) and one of the VE (vps) has ISPConfig installed and running. The ISPConfig web interface is accessible from the internet. Now the question is how to configure it such a way that the new tlds inside VE could be accessed from internet, too.

To make my problem clear, the external public IP is 81.xx.xx.xx with two nameservers which has been defined as ns1.tld.domain and ns2.tld.domain in the domain control panel of the domain registrar. The VE has 192.168.1.x. I could not access the internet with the https://tld.domain:81 no matter whatever I change in the server settings (I used the IP of the VE as well as the external IP of the router, does not make any difference).

On the other hand the ISPconfig status shows that postifix mailserver is stopped. Where shall I need to make the changes to make it run?

PS: I have installed v2.2.9 of ISPConfig and initially I installed with localhost.localdomain as a parameter which I want to change to my registered tld.domain. Thank you.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Example for creating and running a website domain.tld in ISPConfig:

1) Create a client.
    2) Create a website in ISPConfig for www.domain.tld, select the internal IP of your server for this website.
    3) Make sure you forwarded port 80 on your router to the internal server IP, that you selected for the website.
    4) make sure that the DNS-Records for www.domain.tld are pointing to the external IP of your router.

3. zenny

zenny Member

I did it exactly with the internal IPs specified and also pointed the DNS in the domain control panel (external) to the nameservers specified. Still no luck. :(

4. till

What do you see exactly when you call the website domain in the browser?

5. zenny

zenny Member

The error message with domain.tld is "Firefox can't find the server at http://domain.tld"

However, I can access the server when I type the IP address instead of the domainname.

6. till

Ok, this is a dns error. Make sure that you created the domain in the authoritive nameserver for domain.tld and thet the IP points to your external server IP.

You can not access websites in ISPConfig by IP.

7. zenny

zenny Member

Thanks and sorry for my dumb questions. I could not follow what are authoritative nameservers (I got two from my ISP, aren't they?) and what do you mean by "you cannot specify websites in ISPconfig by IP?" I meant that I can access ISPConfig webinterface by IP, not domain.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Authoritative name servers are the name servers that are responsible for your domain. You can find out about them by running
    Code:
    dig ns yourdomain.com
    on the shell.

You can access the web sites that you create in ISPConfig only by their domain names, not by IP address.
    The ISPConfig web interface, however, can be accessed by IP address or domain.

9. zenny

zenny Member

Thank you till and falko.

The dig command gives the following output:

dig ns domain.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> ns domain.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Now, where did I go wrong?

Here is what I did. I managed child namservers in my domain control panel of the domain registrar and pointed to the same server. Whois gives the correct nameservers where I pointed to. I specified the same nameserves in the ISPConfig DNS settings. I pointed the DNS-records in ISPConfig to the external IP of my router.

Thanks for your guidance. Merry Xmas and Happy New year.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  10. till

Plaese make sure that the DNS servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf are reachable.

11. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

zenny,

It would be easier for us to help if you post the domainname.

12. zenny

zenny Member

Till,

The /etc/resolv.conf contains the both the nameservers as well as search domain.com line.

But the problem persists.

13. friday

friday Member

Here is what I did for my home network.

My configuration is a tad different since I use a modified WRT54G as my firewall.

I first created a domain on dyndns.org w/MX records and setup the firewall as a client, using domain.dyndns.org

During the install of ISPConfig, during any prompting for a domain, I used domain.dyndns.org.

On the router, I forwarded port 110 and 25 to the mail server, along with ports 80, 81, and 443.

Since dyndns.org handles all of my DNS information, when creating the website on the box, I left the boxes unchecked to add internal DNS records.

For the email clients, I just use the internal IP of the server, aka 172.16.0.2 for incoming/outgoing email servers. I could use domain.dyndns.org with my router, but I do know of some routers who do not allow forwarding of data from internal sources (3Com OfficeConnects suck for this).

14. zenny

zenny Member

Dear friday:

What I missed is to specify the domain (and used localhost.localdomain) while installing ISPConfig. Now I am trying to find out what is the specific file that I need to find out so that I could specify my own domain.com (in your case domain.dyndns.org)

Where are the files that I need to change to specify in the above case? Thanks

15. till

You can set the doamin in the ISPConfig interface under management > server > settings.

What is the output of the commands:

hostname

and

hostname -f

on your server?

16. zenny

zenny Member

Till:

hostname gives:

nat

and hotsname -f outputs:

hostname: Host name lookup failure

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  17. zenny

zenny Member

I checked with dslreports.com and gave the following "fail" ns message:

A timeout occurred getting the NS records from your nameservers! None of your nameservers responded fast enough. They are probably down or unreachable. I can't continue since your nameservers aren't responding. If you have a Watchguard Firebox, it's due to a bug in their DNS Proxy, which must be disabled (31 Jul 2006 UPDATE: several years after being informed of this, there is a rumor that there is a fix that allows the Watchguard DNS proxy to work).

Any pointers will be appreciated.

18. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname? What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ? Which distribution do you use?

19. zenny

zenny Member

Netstat -tap gives output as follows:

# netstat -tap
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
    tcp 0 0 *:ftp *:* LISTEN 17547/proftpd: (acc
    tcp 0 0 192.168.1.204:domain *:* LISTEN 17529/named
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdomai:domain *:* LISTEN 17529/named
    tcp 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN 15707/sshd
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdomain:rndc *:* LISTEN 17529/named
    tcp 0 0 *:imaps *:* LISTEN 15983/dovecot
    tcp 0 0 *:pop3s *:* LISTEN 15983/dovecot
    tcp 0 0 *:mysql *:* LISTEN 15957/mysqld
    tcp 0 0 *:pop3 *:* LISTEN 15983/dovecot
    tcp 0 0 *:imap *:* LISTEN 15983/dovecot
    tcp 0 0 *:http *:* LISTEN 17436/httpd