ISPConfig installation afterwards

Discussion in 'General' started by Rutger, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Rutger

Rutger New Member

Goodday Guys,
    I have a Ubuntu Server 16.04 running with Apache, SQL, PHP7. Now, I am quite good at Linux, but my business partner is not so Linux minded. We host several sites on this particular server. So, I wonder, is it possible to install ISPConfig on an allready running environment?

If so, is there a particular tut I can follow to get it functional?

Regards

2. Thane

Thane New Member

Hey Rutger,
    I'm not an expert at Linux or ISPC to be sure... However, I would say if you haven't installed a control panel on the current server you should be good to go following a perfect server tuto and aligning the setup with things you've already done to the server, though I believe you would want to copy the databases/files for those sites first since ISPC will be changing permissions on so many things and you don't want your sites getting overwritten or lost. Why don't you just spin up a new VPS and follow this guide for Ubuntu-16.04/PHP7/SQL/Apache and once it's all set up migrate your sites from the old server to the new one? This way you have a "clean slate" going forward. Are your site's static/Wordpress/other-cms? If they're Wordpress you can use a free plugin like Updraft Plus to make the backup export/import super easy/fast, just set the site up using ISPC- then deploy Wordpress using ISPC to the site - then update the DNS of the site's domain to point to your server - then login to the site and install UpdraftPlus - then upload your backup files to the UpdraftPlus plugins folder - then run the UpdraftPlus restore section - done.

I'm somewhat of a noob and can still get a server setup following the guide in less than 1 hour, and I can migrate a site from server-server in about 5 minutes depending on how big the database/file backups are (usually uploading takes me the longest, dang internet).

Just my 2 cents, goodluck :)

3. Rutger

Rutger New Member

Hello Thane,
    I already thought that was going be the answer. I don't dare to install this afterwards (of course I looked into it). And discussed your proposed course of action before I made this thread. So, yah, that is probably the best way to go.

Thanks for replying.

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I think that is definitely possible but there isn't any specific tutorial for it, thus, you must really know what you are doing.

[Backup]
    As said, all you have to do is first make backup copy of your server or just the website files and databases.

[Follow Guide]
    Second, you should follow Perfect Server for Ubuntu 16.04/Apache Guide. Note that you already have most of the packages installed.

[Database]
    Third, this install might not affect any of your databases, so a transfer of databases might not be necessary but you may have to recreate them from ISPC in order to manage them from it.

[Website]
    Fourth, you should also create the website inside ISPC where the default index.html normally will be in the /var/www/clients/clientX/webY/web. You should copy/move your old website files to it and chown that folder recursively if necessary.

I think the above is basically it but I have never tested it, so do it at your own risk.