ISPConfig installation halts on SuSE 9.0

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sandman_ua, Feb 3, 2006.

1. sandman_ua

sandman_ua New Member

ISPConfig installation halts on SuSE 9.0

Apache2
    vsftp
    postfix
    ... and so on - everything standard

It halts after this lines:
    STEP 6: Generating X.509 certificate signed by own CA [server.crt]
    Certificate Version (1 or 3) [3]:
    Signature ok
    subject=/C=XY/ST=Snake Desert/L=Snake Town/O=Snake Oil, Ltd/OU=Webserver Team/CN=www.snakeoil.dom/[email protected]
    Getting CA Private Key
    Verify: matching certificate & key modulus
    Verify: matching certificate signature
    ../conf/ssl.crt/server.crt: OK

Please help!...

p.s. I've tryed simple and expert mode - everything is the same...

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Aren't there any error messages before or after these lines?

3. sandman_ua

sandman_ua New Member

no... and that is the point - no error messages before (as far I could view through the log) and, as I have mentioned before, no error messages, absolutely nothing after.... it just halts "OK" then carriage return and halts...

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe you entered some wrong characters in the SSL-Certificate steps 1 - 5. Please try to accept the defaults for all questions or post here what you entered there. Except your password ;)

5. madmax

madmax New Member

Same problem here, on SUSE 9.1...

The procedure seems to hang on:
    /root/ispconfig/openssl/bin/openssl verify -CAfile ../conf/ssl.crt/ca.crt ../conf/ssl.crt/server.crt

If I run the same command by hand I got:
    Error loading file ../conf/ssl.crt/ca.crt
    19450:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:122:fopen('../conf/ssl.crt/ca.crt','r')
    19450:error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file:bss_file.c:125:
    19450:error:0B084002:x509 certificate routines:X509_load_cert_crl_file:system lib:by_file.c:274:

Any hint?

6. sandman_ua

sandman_ua New Member

In steps 1-5 SSL certificate generation I've accepted only default values except of duration, that defauls to 365 and I entered 3650.
    (p.s. there were no password queries)

7. madmax

madmax New Member

Same here.

My system has been previously setup following the "Perfect setup for SUSE 9.2" guidelines.
    A few things here or there were different but I had no problem during setup, that also required CA certificate generation...
    I wonder if certificate information have to match somehow or if it's a whole differente world...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  8. falko

I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but are you using 32-bit or 64-bit systems? What's the output of
    Code:
    uname -m
    ?

9. madmax

madmax New Member

Mine is a 32bit system (i686 from uname -m)...

I'm focusing on problems on postfix configuration... in expert mode I see that the virtusertable file on my system is actually a file named virtual.
    Don't know where to find the Local-Host-Names-File, though...

I've also changed the www root directory to /srv/www/htdocs

However, I get an error on step 3:
    ../conf/ssl.crt/ca.crt: [...]
    error 18 at 0 depth lookup:self signed certificate
    Ok

and the setup would hang again on step 6, after the same step for server signature, but with no error...
    ../conf/ssl.crt/server.crt: Ok

Edit:
    Ok, I've seen the virtusertable is a ISPConfig file, so no messing with postfix's virtual file...

Anyway, can't make it working... if I got time I'll erase the test server and start it up from scratch again...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  10. sandman_ua

sandman_ua New Member

uname -m
    i686

p.s. sorry for delay. my SuSE was down for some time - I couldn't check uname. I still need help/advices/propositions

11. sandman_ua

sandman_ua New Member

any suggestions? please...

12. falko

I have no idea - I've never seen such a behaviour before... Are you sure you followed the "Perfect Setup" tutorial for your distribution to the letter?

13. madmax

madmax New Member

Hi,
    I took my time and started again from scratch...

- installed SUSE 9.1, minimal system
    - followed guideline for SUSE 9.2, I believe very close to 9.1

During the preparation I had no errors and everything went smooth.

Checked dist.txt and changed a couple of lines for SUSE 9.1:

Code:
    dist_mysql_group=[B]mysql [/B]##                                        # suse91
    dist_httpd_daemon=[B]apache2 [/B]##                                     # suse91
    Then I (tried to) install ISPConfig, choosed Expert mode and just changed ww root directory to /srv/www/htdocs

The setup always hangs at this command:

Code:
     /root/ispconfig/openssl/bin/openssl verify -CAfile ../conf/ssl.crt/ca.crt ../conf/ssl.crt/server.crt

Still don't know why... no error is shown... seems waiting for something...

I tried the same command manually and actually it froze! But if I try the same command using the openssl NOT compiled by ISPConfig, the command correctly terminates...

Is there a way to exclude parts of the setup? I mean, may I install ISPConfig skipping certificate generation?
    May I use the openssl command already in place rather than the ISPConfig's?

14. falko

Yes, you can adjust the compilation options in the script install_ispconfig/compile_aps/compile.

15. madmax

madmax New Member

If you mean changing --with-ssl={INSTALL_DIR}/openssl in --with-ssl, I've already tried it... no use...

I'd like to change the bin path that's calling openssl in certification generation... but I'm still figuring out which makefiles to touch...

16. falko

I'd try to change this:

Code:
    cd ../${MOD_SSL}
    ./configure --with-apache=../${APACHE} --with-ssl=${INSTALL_ROOT}/openssl --prefix=${INSTALL_ROOT}/httpd --enable-module=so || error "Could not configure Apache"
    cd ../${APACHE}
    make || error "Could not make Apache"
    make certificate TYPE=custom  || error "Could not make certificate for Apache"
    make install || error "Could not install Apache"

cd ../${PHP}
    ./configure --with-apxs=${INSTALL_ROOT}/httpd/bin/apxs --enable-track-vars --enable-sockets --enable-mbstring=all --with-config-file-path=${INSTALL_ROOT}/php --enable-ftp --prefix=${INSTALL_ROOT}/php --with-openssl=${INSTALL_ROOT}/openssl --with-mysql=/usr --disable-libxml --disable-dom --disable-xml --disable-xmlreader --disable-xmlwriter --disable-simplexml --without-pear || error "Could not configure PHP"
    make || error "Could not make PHP"
    make install || error "Could not install PHP"
    ln -s ${INSTALL_ROOT}/php/bin/php ${INSTALL_ROOT}/php/php
    Instead of ${INSTALL_ROOT}/openssl you should use your distribution's openssl package.

17. madmax

madmax New Member

I'll try it... even if I don't know exactely what to specify there... the bin directory? the include?

In the meanwhile I took another direction... I installed SUSE 10 on a virtual machine and actually succeded in installing ISPConfig...

Next, I'll try a new virtual machine with SUSE 9.1 and see if it makes any difference compared to the real system...
    I'll keep you updated...

18. sandman_ua

sandman_ua New Member

I'm doing all the same at my live SuSE 9.0
    and my case is _*absolutelly*_ the same as by MADMAX

at the moment I have the same question:

19. falko

It's the parent directory of the bin and the include directory.

20. sandman_ua

sandman_ua New Member

Have made it!!!

While running setup manually step-by-step, I have reproduced all gusses by MADMAX and found out that openssl-0.9.8 that comes with last ISPConfig does not work on my Linux - SuSE 9.0.
    I've cheked what version is "native" to my Linux and it is openssl-0.9.7b, so
    the solution:

I've downloaded source of openssl-0.9.7b from openssl site and substituted it in the install_ispconfig/compile_aps/ and changed openssl version in install_ispconfig/compile_aps/compile. And everyrhing went grate!

P.S. Falko, I hope didn't break any dependency inside ISPConfig?