ISPConfig keeps failing to install

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by thisiszeev, Sep 6, 2023.

1. thisiszeev

thisiszeev Member

Fresh Debian 11 Server.

Here is the errors I keep getting...
    Code:
    [INFO] Adding quota to fstab.
    PHP Warning:  mkdir(): File exists in /tmp/ispconfig-ai/lib/os/class.ISPConfigDebian11OS.inc.php on line 36
    PHP Warning:  symlink(): File exists in /tmp/ispconfig-ai/lib/os/class.ISPConfigDebian11OS.inc.php on line 38
    PHP Warning:  symlink(): File exists in /tmp/ispconfig-ai/lib/os/class.ISPConfigDebian11OS.inc.php on line 39
    [INFO] Installing packages pure-ftpd-common, pure-ftpd-mysql, awstats, goaccess, awffull
    [INFO] Installed packages pure-ftpd-common, pure-ftpd-mysql, awstats, goaccess, awffull
    [INFO] Enabling TLS for pureftpd
    [INFO] Disabling awstats cron.
    [INFO] Installing packages fail2ban, ufw
    [INFO] Installed packages fail2ban, ufw
    [INFO] Configuring SSHd
    [INFO] Installing UnattendedUpgrades
    [INFO] Installing packages unattended-upgrades, apt-listchanges
    [INFO] Installed packages unattended-upgrades, apt-listchanges
    [INFO] Installing roundcube.
    [INFO] Installing packages roundcube, roundcube-core, roundcube-mysql, roundcube-plugins
    [INFO] Installed packages roundcube, roundcube-core, roundcube-mysql, roundcube-plugins
    [INFO] Installing ISPConfig3.
    [INFO] Adding PHP version(s) to ISPConfig.
    [ERROR] Exception occurred: ISPConfigOSException -> Could not read ISPConfig settings file. (/ispconfig.ai.php:15)

I tried cleaning out PMA and Roundcube database and user from MariaDB, and emptying the tmp folder and rerunning the install, but I still get the same error.

It looks like it wants to find a file at root /ispconfig.ai.php but it isn't in root?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, that's not the cause of the issue. Please add these two additional command-line options to the install command:

--debug --interactive

so we can see what is causing the issue.

3. thisiszeev

thisiszeev Member

Thanks Till... I shall do that tomorrow afternoon when I am back in the office.

4. Petr Šponer

Petr Šponer New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Guys, how did this ended? I have used the " --debug --interactive" and outcome was:

5. till

Which exact installation command did you use and which OS and OS version? I guess you might have tried to exclude the default PHP version of the OS, which ISPConfig requires.

6. till

Or you might have started from a non-empty system with PHP already installed, so the initial PHP installation was skipped, but your manually pre-installed PHP version lacks the mbstring module. It is essential to start with an empty system, as mentioned in the install guide: https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/

ahrasis likes this.
  7. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

PHP Multibyte Module (MB) is missing.
    this can be an exception if a declare() function is added to a code and the mbstring extension of php is not enabled.
    There can be issues with different encodings of files, especially in non european areas.
    I'd suggest to install the php-mbstring package apt install php8.2-mbstring ( which would be the debian 12 default php version )
    This may not help with this issue, but it's something to be aware

edit: ahh I had this tab open for too long, till already mentioned this.

ahrasis likes this.
  8. Petr Šponer

Petr Šponer New Member HowtoForge Supporter

This time I tried with fresh minimal Debian 12, however the error appeared (which i solved as bellow):

Code:
    [ERROR] Exception occurred: ISPConfigOSException -> Command resolvconf -u 2>&1 failed. (/ispconfig.ai.php:15)
    root@isp-master:/home/petr# export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin

... and installation finished afterwards.
    my install command was:
    Code:
    wget -O - https://get.ispconfig.org | sh -s -- --use-ftp-ports=40110-40210 --unattended-upgrades --debug --interactive
    Thnx for support.

9. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You needed to do
    Code:
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
    probably because you switched accout to user with command su, instead of
    Code:
    su -
    Note the dash character added to the su command. Autoinstall instructions chapter 1. start with

ahrasis likes this.
  10. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I read the man page for su, and it occurred to me the tutorials could be improved by replacing
    Code:
    su -
    with
    Code:
    su --login
    That dash character is easy to not see, it has happened previously as evidenced by questions in this forum. Writing --login instead would be harder to miss completely.
    The man page (on Debian 12) even states:

ahrasis and ztk.me like this.
  11. MaxT

MaxT Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi!
    I'm testing the autoinstaller in a VirtualBox with Debian 10.

from root:
    # wget -O - https://get.ispconfig.org | sh -s -- --use-ftp-ports=40110-40210 --unattended-upgrades --debug --interactive

although it fails in this point:

Code:
    WARNING! This script will reconfigure your entire server!
    It should be run on a freshly installed server and all current configuration that you have done will most likely be lost!
    Type 'yes' if you really want to continue: yes
    [INFO] Starting perfect server setup for Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
    [INFO] Checking hostname.
    [INFO] Enabling contrib and non-free repositories.
    [INFO] Updating packages
    [INFO] Updated packages
    [INFO] Installing packages ssh, openssh-server, nano, vim-nox, lsb-release, apt-transport-https, ca-certificates, wget, git, gnupg, software-properties-common, curl, cron, ntp
    [INFO] Installed packages ssh, openssh-server, nano, vim-nox, lsb-release, apt-transport-https, ca-certificates, wget, git, gnupg, software-properties-common, curl, cron, ntp
    [INFO] Activating rspamd repository.
    [INFO] Activating sury php repository.
    [INFO] Activating GoAccess repository.
    [INFO] Updating packages (after enabling 3rd party repos).
    [INFO] Updated packages
    [INFO] Installing packages dbconfig-common, postfix, postfix-mysql, mariadb-client, mariadb-server, openssl, rkhunter, binutils, sudo, getmail
    [INFO] Installed packages dbconfig-common, postfix, postfix-mysql, mariadb-client, mariadb-server, openssl, rkhunter, binutils, sudo, getmail
    [INFO] Installing packages dovecot-imapd, dovecot-pop3d, dovecot-mysql, dovecot-sieve, dovecot-managesieved, dovecot-lmtpd
    [INFO] Installed packages dovecot-imapd, dovecot-pop3d, dovecot-mysql, dovecot-sieve, dovecot-managesieved, dovecot-lmtpd
    [INFO] Generating MySQL password.
    [INFO] Writing MySQL config files.
    [INFO] Configuring postfix.
    [INFO] Restarting postfix
    [INFO] Configuring rkhunter.
    [INFO] Installing packages software-properties-common, update-inetd, dnsutils, resolvconf, clamav, clamav-daemon, zip, unzip, bzip2, xz-utils, lzip, rar, borgbackup, arj, nomarch, lzop, cabextract, apt-listchanges, libnet-ldap-perl, libauthen-sasl-perl, daemon, libio-string-perl, libio-socket-ssl-perl, libnet-ident-perl, libnet-dns-perl, libdbd-mysql-perl, bind9, rspamd, redis-server, postgrey, p7zip, p7zip-full, unrar-free, lrzip
    [ERROR] Exception occurred: ISPConfigOSException -> Installing packages failed. (/ispconfig.ai.php:15)
    some idea?

12. till

Run the command:

Code:
    apt install software-properties-common update-inetd dnsutils resolvconf clamav clamav-daemon zip unzip bzip2 xz-utils lzip rar borgbackup arj nomarch lzop cabextract apt-listchanges libnet-ldap-perl libauthen-sasl-perl daemon libio-string-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libnet-ident-perl libnet-dns-perl libdbd-mysql-perl bind9 rspamd redis-server postgrey p7zip p7zip-full unrar-free lrzip
    to see why apt fails to install these standard paclages. My guess is you might be using a server with ARM CPU and as the install guides lists under prerequisites, you can only use it on x86_64 (64bit intel/amd cpu's). Or your harddisk might be full. In general, installing on such a old system like Debian 10 does not makes much sense, use a current Debian version like Debian 12.

ahrasis and MaxT like this.
  13. MaxT

hi till,
    I'm trying your command but it shows an error of dependencies error with rspamd
    Code:
     rspamd : Depends: libc++1-16 (>= 1:16.0.0~++20230308013049+7b4e71bcf991) although is not installable
              Depends: libc++abi1-16 (>= 1:16.0.0~++20230308013049+7b4e71bcf991) although is not installable
              Depends: libunwind-16 (>= 1:16.0.0~++20230308013049+7b4e71bcf991) although is not installable

error held broken packages    
    I have solved the broken packages:
    Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoclean
    apt-get update --fix-missing
    apt-get install -f
    apt autoremove
    and I have tried again, although the same error appears with same held broken packages...

The VBOX is working in local mode, in a common Intel processor.
    I'm interested to test the autoinstaller here before using it in the real world. Although if you believes the errors are caused by my VBOX local environment perhaps better I will leave this.
    Maybe the script is not designed to work in this way?
    thanks

I was interested in Debian 10, although I will try Debian 11 to see what happens. Thanks

14. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The automated installer for Debian 10 seems to rely on backports for Buster.
    Debian Backports does not support LTS, therefore buster-backports is unsupported since August 1st 2022.

Could be an issue. Does it work with amavis instead? Or Debian 11 or 12 with rspamd?

https://backports.debian.org/

Last edited: May 23, 2024
    ahrasis, till and MaxT like this.
  15. MaxT

you are right, it was Debian 10.
    With Debian 11 I have installed it without problems.

thanks! :)

ahrasis and ztk.me like this.
  16. till

I've removed Debian 10 from the auto installer tutorial now. But you should always install on a recent OS version and not one that is not even supported by its vendor anymore like Debian 10.

ahrasis, ztk.me and MaxT like this.