ISPConfig - Mail Issues (Howto)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by MADDOG, Aug 19, 2008.

1. MADDOG

MADDOG New Member

Good day
    My company have setup an ISPConfig
    Version: 2.2.23 for our Domain for the past 5 months and each month that goes the Server becomes more & more unstable, but on the beginning of this week someone manage to pass true our Communications Server (PFSESE) causing some issues on our computers (Not Critical) but manage also to access the ISPConfig Server taking out some DB emails
    I'm not an Expert on ISPCONFIG i only work with IPBRICK, Due to all of this i will move all my email to my IPBRICK SERVER (Linux-Debian) but to do that first i need to know how to:

Backup all the email on the ISPCONFIG SERVER
    Migrate the same to the other Server
    To understand and find the email DB that disappear from some clients

I try to backup using Filezilla and download the folder /Var but still don't see the data that disappear

tks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The mails are not stored in a database. If you're using Maildir, then there's a Maildir containing the user's emails in each user's home directory. If you're using mbox, then you can find the mailboxes in /var/spool/mail.

3. rg5d

rg5d New Member

ISPConfig stores email accounts in /var/vmail
    tar up this directory and you have your entire email backed up

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This thread here is about ispconfig 2, thats a different software then ispconfig 3. ISPConfig 2 stores all mails in /var/spool/mail and not /var/vmail

5. rg5d

rg5d New Member

My apologies for any confusion. I am using ISPConfig 3 and was in the process of attempting to figure out how to backup my email and found this post and discovered that the email is stored in /var/vmail and I wanted to pass along the location so if others came along they would know to check /var/vmail. Thanks for clarifying the differences in versions.

Also, if someone wants to backup all of the ISPConfig 3 data, what directories in addition to /var/vmail need to be saved?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

For ISPConfig 3:

email: /var/vmail
    websites: /var/www (or /srv/www on opensuse)
    backups: /var/backup
    website logs /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/
    config data /etc
    databases: /var/lib/mysql

7. rg5d

rg5d New Member

Thank you!

8. rg5d

rg5d New Member

Hi Til,

This is partly off topic but I have never used forums like how-to forge and stackexchange to ask questions. On this site I currently only know how to "Post Reply" which is why I am asking for your help here.

How do I start a new question?

I wanted to ask about using VirtualBox and its feature that provides access to shared folders on the host. Currently ISPConfig 3 is installed on a centos 6.6 in VirtualBox and all of the files that you reference above are inside of the VirtualBox instance. I would like to store all of the data on a shared folder on the host machine so I can easily backup the critical files and use VirtualBox with ISPConfig 3 installed only as an appliance that does not contain any user data, but rather only the ISPConfig program and required system files to make it work.
    My question is would the system work in this fashion? It seems like I could create symbolic links to the /media/sf_ISPConfig-3 directory (ISPConfig-3 is the folder name on the host machine).
    Thank you,
    Richard