ISPConfig Migration Toolkit - issue with mailbox password migration when special character is used

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by curiousadmin, Jul 1, 2021.

1. curiousadmin

curiousadmin Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello Team,
    I just wanted to let you guys know that ISPConfig Migration Toolkit fails when there is a special character (outside azAZ09) used in password for a mailbox.
    No big deal luckily it affected just one mailbox in my case and the data were copied fine (no reason rsync would be affected).
    Both the source and target servers were installed using the Perfect Server Automated ISPConfig 3 Installation on Debian 10 and Ubuntu 20.04^
    If you want to know the specific character used PM me.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. curiousadmin

Maybe but this was character within US ASCII

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Check which characters are allowed in passwords. Not all US ASCII characters are. It depends on the system and application what it uses and allows.
    I have ancient experience with VAX VMS, where colon could be entered in the password but then login was not possible. More recent is with MySQL, where a special character, I do not remenber which anymore, likewise made login impossible.

5. curiousadmin

Ok I don't use that password anymore anyway - the problematic character was _ (underscore).

6. curiousadmin

Btw the issue remains - however it seems to only affect outgoing email, weirdly enough the email actually gets through but is "stuck" in Thunderbird as "sending".
    Again the underscore was the culprit, changing the password to one without special character solved the issue.
    I still believe that this is somehow related to the Migration Toolkit as on the old server the underscore within the password wasn't an issue.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The migration tool is not related to your issue. Passwords are stored as hashes, and these hashes are copied as they are, they can not be decoded. The Migration tool is also not related to the way postfix or dovecot authenticate passwords.

ahrasis likes this.
  8. curiousadmin

Fair enough. I still have the issue though - so for others: keep an eye on the special characters if the email post-migration is behaving weirdly. Changing the password to not include special character (in my case underscore _) solved it for me.