ISPConfig mirror a standalone server ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Donno, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Donno

Donno Member

I would like to mirror a Standalone server so when the standalone goes down for updating, fault recovery or even fails, that the mirror would take over showing web sites, emails , database, ftp and act as secondary DNS. New users should not make changes to the ispconfig until the main server comes back online but the web site,email and database should sync when the main server comes online.

Any ideas or guides to do this ? Maybe someone can share there setup

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This tutorial is outdated. See https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ispconfig-multiserver-setup-debian-ubuntu/ for a up-to-date tutorial.

Such failover setups have been discussed often, search around the forum for some threads. E.g. https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/multiserver-setup.86820/ and https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/using-lets-encrypt-with-mirror-setup.86402/

4. Donno

Donno Member

I have been going at it for a couple of days and i am really impressed with the tutorial, there where a few problems because it is a bit outdated but i managed to get through it.

How do you manage the switch over to the mirror server do you use the DNS and both IP addresses per DNS entry ? example :
    A Record mail 10.0.0.1
    A Record mail 10.0.0.2

Or would you use floating IP and assign it to the mirror server ?

5. ahrasis

Both approaches should work fine but the tutorial uses the former.

6. Donno

Donno Member

Is there a way to automate adding the mirror IP , so when a client adds a record to DNS with the primary IP that an automatic record is inserted with the mirror IP and also for deleting and editing so that the client does not insert the Primary IP then no need to create duplicate record

7. ahrasis

I haven't maintained dns servers but have you try customizing the template?

8. Th0m

I strongly recommend using the newer guide I shared in #3.

For high-availability setups, see the other links I shared in #3.

9. Donno

Donno Member

Why would you recommend against this setup ? I have read through you guide quickly but i do not seem to get that there are no replication of the web server or database ?

The guide ahrasis shared is there a newer guide ? I really like the fact of two servers, main and mirror.

10. Th0m

The guide you used is oudated, the one I shared and wrote is up to date. You can easily add a mirror, it's already described how to do this for mailservers. I shared 2 links and a hint on where to find more on high-availablity setups.