ISPConfig Multiserver Setup

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by syneka, Jun 16, 2013.

1. syneka

syneka New Member

Hello,

We've been using ISPConfig with a two server mirror setup (as per section 3.3 in the manual)

This has been working correctly, but a database application we want to test does not allow mysql increments greater than 1.

Can we convert the mirror setup into a master -> slave relationship, while still enabling the second server as a backup? I assume that should the first server fail, we would need to migrate the second server's database to the first prior to activation.

Could we still use the second server a secondary MX record under this setup?

Thanks,

Alex

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. All you have to do is to disable the mysql replication and then dont use the ispconfig interface on the second server. To ensure that its not used anymore, you should delete the ispconfig.vhost link in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ folder on the slave.

Yes.

3. syneka

syneka New Member

Thanks Till, we're looking at re-installing the second server, so should we follow the multiserver setup, with the only difference between master -> slave instead of master -> replication?

And then remove ispconfig interface on the second server?

4. till

If you reinstall a server, you will loose all data replicated to that system as ispconfig will not redo that when you reattach the server, basically ISPConfig expects that all data exists on the slave while it is indeed missing after reinstall. Is there any special reason why you have reinstall it?

5. syneka

syneka New Member

Hi Till, mainly to have a cleaner configuration. We've got there in the end migrating ISPConfig to a new system and recommissioning the secondary server in a master -> slave arrangement.

I'm sure its on your radars already but a migration guide would be a useful addition to the manual.

Alex

6. till

Ok. It might work that you force the slave to rewrite the configuration with the resync tool,you find it under tools. But you will have to migrate the data (website files and databases and database contents) manually then.

Yes, I've planned to wrte such a guide for the manual but did not had the time yet. I hope that we can include it in the next release of the manual.

7. syneka

syneka New Member

Yes we have unison transferring /var/vmail and /var/www, with the second server as a backup MX record. The slave accepts database changes from the master and I've set server2 to mirror server1 in the ISPConfig setup.

All seems to be working correctly so thank you for your help.

I'd be happy to help with this, most of the content seems already available, its a matter of collating it and updating it where needed.

Alex