ISPConfig not available but websites are fine

Discussion in 'General' started by mphayesuk, Jan 3, 2007.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

This is an interesting one, I cant connect to my server via the portal or via putty however all the web sites are still working. Cant check the mail or ftp access.

I know how to fix this its called a reboot, but is there any reason why its done this, its been happy for around 60days now without any problems and I was connected to it this morning to check a couple of things but I made no changes.

Is there anything I can check after the reboot to see why this happened. Are there any log files I can check....

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do a reboot and then check your logfiles afterwards. Without having access to SSH, its hard to say what happened. Maybe a partition run full or there was a hack attempt on your server.

3. mphayesuk

The one thing I have noticed is that my backup has not completed, I should get an email at 4am with stats in, but no email. So I think that something might have gone wrong with the tmp drive.... just thought I would check to see if anything else might have gone wrong with ISPConfig....

Thanks, if its anything I cant understand I will post entries of my log files.

4. mphayesuk

Ok I restarted the server last night and then everything worked fine, but this morning its down again, the web pages are still being sent, but no access to the ISPConfig control panel, ftp and mail are still working.

So I am thinking that its something to do with my backup script or I am being hacked, are there any tools to check if I am being hacked.

Tonight I am going to take the backup script off line and restart the server again, if anything else happens I will post it here.

Thanks

5. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Have you activated a firewall recently? It looks like the ISPConfig webserver process is not starting/running. Can you post the output of netstat -tap?

6. mphayesuk

Hold on a minute, my office started blocking ssh and port 81.... I cant believe no one mentioned it to me.... after all I am in the IT department... sorry for wasting anyones time on this.

Thanks