ispconfig on LAN

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by zars, Apr 2, 2008.

1. zars

zars New Member

Hello people

I've managed to install Ubuntu server 7.10 on Virtualbox. I managed to install everything on it and now I can access to my ISPconfig site.

All I want is to create web sites and access to them within my LAN, as well as the mail server with the POP3 and stmp.

So far I've created 2 clients with 2 sites, but I can't see them. I also created 4 users that have "email" address but I don't know how to access to those email accounts.

Please point me to the right direction because right now I feel lost.

thanks in advance.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

To access the mail accounts, use the IP of your server as smtp and pop3 server in the mail client and the username and password that you created for the mail user.

3. zars

zars New Member

Thanks Till for the answer and sorry about the double post.

But how exactly should I go with the IP when configuring for example Mozilla Thunderbird?

I'd put in the incoming server: "pop.192.168.1.40"? or just the IP?

Last night I managed to install Uebimiau and could access to the emails with it.

As for the websites well, it's a little complicated I can access through then with a "hostname" that I created let's call it "sever.dyndns.org" <- it works locally but not in inet though I have it as a dyndns account but as I stated this is not important now.

But when I type for example site1.server.dyndns.org <- it resolves to the "hostname" I used when I installed the server which was something like "something.com.mx" and this doesn't work. so how I can change it to my other hostname (btw within the server there's an error message from Apache saying that it could not well resolve the dns name "something.com.mx").

PD: I also would like to install samba to give them space in the server to save their files, I did it with the Ubuntu desktop but I'm not sure this can be done with the Server because I used some visual things that helped me.

PD: When viewing the websites althought they actually work, the access is really slow and I think it's because of the SSH, I'd like them to show faster so is there a way or how can I disable the SSH to avoid this?.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  4. zars

zars New Member

Okay, here a resume of what I've done.

I reconfigured the mail and now I can send mails through Mozilla thunderbird, but I can't receive them, I picked pop server and it says that it was not possible to connect to POP server 192.168.1.40 -ERR

Thanks for the help.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Any errors in your mail log? What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ?

6. zars

zars New Member

I'll have to check that at home.

I decided to install it again here at my office, it now works, I can see the sites and everything seems to work but the mail.

It keeps telling me "you can't login with the username and password entered Please check your username and password and try again"

Here is the output of netstat -tap

Code:
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name   
    tcp        0      0 *:mysql                 *:*                     LISTEN     3777/mysqld         
    tcp        0      0 *:www                   *:*                     LISTEN     4247/apache2        
    tcp        0      0 *:81                    *:*                     LISTEN     4183/ispconfig_http 
    tcp        0      0 unidit.dyndns.or:domain *:*                     LISTEN     6559/named          
    tcp        0      0 localhost:domain        *:*                     LISTEN     6559/named          
    tcp        0      0 localhost:953           *:*                     LISTEN     6559/named          
    tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN     5268/master         
    tcp        0      0 *:https                 *:*                     LISTEN     4247/apache2        
    tcp6       0      0 *:imaps                 *:*                     LISTEN     3890/couriertcpd    
    tcp6       0      0 *:pop3s                 *:*                     LISTEN     3926/couriertcpd    
    tcp6       0      0 *:pop3                  *:*                     LISTEN     3903/couriertcpd    
    tcp6       0      0 *:imap2                 *:*                     LISTEN     3862/couriertcpd    
    tcp6       0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN     4413/proftpd: (acce 
    tcp6       0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN     6100/sshd           
    tcp6       0      0 ip6-localhost:953       *:*                     LISTEN     6559/named          
    tcp6       0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN     5268/master         
    tcp6       0      0 unidit.dyndns.org:ftp   ::ffff:192.168.1.5:3704 ESTABLISHED6989/proftpd: web1_

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  7. zars

zars New Member

Never mind I solved it, I had forgotten to active the Maildir checkbox. I just did it and it worked.

Now, I can send and receive emails, I just tried with two users and it worked, but when I tried with an outsider account e.g. '[email protected]' it sent it but it's been around 2-3 hours and it hasn't arrived, besides, just after I tried this, I tried to send emails between the local users and they haven't arrived either.

Any ideas, thanks in advance.

8. falko

Any errors in your mail log?
    Did you activate Maildir under Management > Server > Settings > Email?

9. zars

zars New Member

And yes I did activate it. Thanks.

Btw taking advance of this post, I reinstalled the server I had set up at home there everything's working although I haven't tried mailing accounts from outside the local network, but I would like to configure a mail software like thunderbird or evolution to handle the mail through there, but it doesn't work. I read about it and it seems that the mail needs to have the authentication turned on which I remember I did. Any ideas?? thanks.

Here is my mail.log it seems that it's too heavy to paste it here so I had to attach it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  10. zars

zars New Member

Ok I managed to delete the messages that were in queue.

now local users can send mails among them but I haven't been able to make it send outside accounts.

11. falko

Please check if your server is blacklisted ( http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx ) or if your ISP blocks port 25.