ISPConfig Panel wont sent mails, but mailserver works.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Byolock, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Byolock

Byolock New Member

Hello,
    i cant send any Mails over the panel, if i login through Mailspring ( like Thunderbird / Outlook) i can sent and receive Mails just fine.
    I ticked "use smtp for mail delivery" in the panel and added the server and the user credentials. First i used "localhost" as smtp server now i use its fqdn but both doesnt seem to do anything.

The only probably related thing i could find in log files is

/var/log/mail.log :
    Code:
    Mar  1 14:15:02 hostevery dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (disconnected before auth was ready, waited 0 secs): user=<>, rip=::1, lip=::1, secured, session=<YdbE28qfyt4AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>
    Mar  1 14:15:02 hostevery postfix/smtpd[11166]: connect from localhost[::1]
    Mar  1 14:15:02 hostevery postfix/smtpd[11166]: lost connection after CONNECT from localhost[::1]
    Mar  1 14:15:02 hostevery postfix/smtpd[11166]: disconnect from localhost[::1] commands=0/0
    Mar  1 14:15:02 hostevery dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=::1, lip=::1, secured, session=<hp3F28qfZJ8AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>
    Somebody got an idea what might cause this behaviour?

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think I'm facing the same issue, but I didn't have time to look into it yet.

3. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

i use localhost and port 25 with use smtp for mail delivery and i have no problem.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Same here, sending via SMTP in ISPConfig works without issues.

5. mbsouth

mbsouth Member

@Th0m @Byolock
    Single or Multiserver Setup?
    OS?

The same issue here!
    Multiserver Setup; Debian 10.3; No MTA is installed on Master-, Web-, DNS-Server.

"Use SMTP for mail delivery" I understand it like:
    ISPC sends mails in the form of a MUA: connecting to the MTA ->Server(FQDN), Port, User, Password, Encryption, Authentication and send the mail.
    That's why my question is: does ISPC need an SMTP Server or an SMTP Relay?

SMTP Server is somewhat generic and can mean any server utilizing the SMTP protocol. However, in this context, it means the server to which a mail client (for example Thunderbird) connects to to send the mail. In additionally to being the first point through which the mail passes, it is also usually the last, as SMTP servers are responsible for delivering the mail to a mailbox (POP3 or IMAP, usually).

SMTP Relay is a more specific term. Think of it like a post office sorting facility - It deals with mail coming from other servers, such as the SMTP server above. It then passes it on in the right direction to other SMTP servers.

I recommend to not allow relaying unless you really need it, as an SMTP relay can be abused by spammers.

6. till

It depends on the settings that you have chosen. If you don't set a password and user, then the server that you send emails trough must accept connections without username and password. If you use a username and password, then the server can be any mail server that is allowed to send for the given sender address and allows smtp connections with the given username and password.

Relay servers can not be abiused by spammers. You seem to mix up relay server with an open relay server. An open relay server is what spammers can misuse, a relay server, in general, can not be misused. Having a relay server is perfectly fine as long as you specify which IP addresses are allowed to send, you do that for postfix in the mynetworks line.

7. mbsouth

mbsouth Member

Hi Till!
    Unfortunately, in my case it does not work, the mail account works with Thunderbird without problems (data are pseudonymized, picture below).
    ISPC debug message:
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log
    Sun 23 Feb 2020 07:24:01 PM CET 23.02.2020-19:24 - DEBUG - Calling function 'check_phpini_changes' from plugin 'webserver_plugin' raised by action 'server_plugins_loaded'.
    Sun 23 Feb 2020 07:24:01 PM CET sh: /usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory
    Sun 23 Feb 2020 07:24:01 PM CET 23.02.2020-19:24 - DEBUG - Remove Lock: /usr/local/ispconfig/server/temp/.ispconfig_lock
    Sun 23 Feb 2020 07:24:01 PM CET sh: /usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory
    Sun 23 Feb 2020 07:24:01 PM CET finished.

Attached Files:

8. till

The cron.log can not contain any info on this as the mail settings are for the interface only. The most likely reason for failed connections is that PHP is not able to verify the SSL cert of the SMTP server.

For the server part, you should have a sendmail warüüer script as many applications and shell programs require it. This does not need to be a full postfix or sendmail instance, there are smaller alternatives to provide the necessary SMTP endpoint for shell scripts.

9. mbsouth

mbsouth Member

Code:
    mynetworks = 127.0.0.1 [::1]
    [Postfix restriction classes] =
        permit_mynetworks,

I understand it that way if postfix is configured as standard MTA on a webserver with the above settings, every webuser can send mails from this host (127.0.0.1) (like php_mail ()). This can very often lead to problems with unsafe websites. Therefore I don't want to install an MTA on our webservers. Web user must have an mail account and an authenticated user to send mails. This can be done with PHP mailer or with hundreds of addons/plugins for WordPress, Drupal, Typo3 and so on.

Sorry, my content no longer belongs in this post.

10. mbsouth

mbsouth Member

Thanks for the hint, this is a good starting point for my troubleshooting!