ISPconfig & qmail

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by RAID-5, Oct 28, 2005.

1. RAID-5

RAID-5 New Member

Hi... Is qmail will be supported in futur version of ISPconfig?

During install, if I choose "3) Other" in mailserver choice install crash. For the moment, is it possible to use ISPconfig without mail support and keep qmail?

Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Currently ISPConfig requires postfix or sendmail.

3. Jeroen

Jeroen New Member

Will there be support for qmail in the near future? Alot of free control panels offer only postfix and sendmail. It'd be nice to see atleast one control panel that support qmail. I'd even consider buying a control panel if they'd support qmail.

Regards,

Jeroen.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

No, we don't plan to support qmail.

5. Jeroen

Jeroen New Member

Oke thanks for clearing that out. I've setup ISPConfig anyway on a test server! Looks good!

6. petert101

petert101 New Member

Why is that?
    There is loads of stuff out there to support QMail. I used to use postfix and exim, I switched to qmail and never regretted that step once.

7. till

If you want to have qmail support in ISPConfig, you can become an ISPCOnfig developer and write a qmail extension.

8. petert101

petert101 New Member

wow, do you always behave like an asshole, or is it just today?
    If asking simple questions generates these kind of answers I'd better move on look for another control panel that's supported by nice people.
    It's a shame really, I was willing to fork out the cash for the paid version, but now I am not sure anymore.

9. till

I think you misunderstand me. Neither i nor falko has qmail knowledge and without a deeper understanding of a mailsystem you cant implement it. If you where not willing to help on an open source project, thats your problem, not my. But telling me that i behave like an asshole shows only that you did not know this community.

10. petert101

petert101 New Member

even in answering you behave like an asshole. Must be your german blood.
    I am leaving this project, will not be recommending it any longer on wht, goodbye

11. till

Why are you so offending to me? I just asked you if you want to join the project and help us to get a qmail extension and you call me an asshole.

I know that my english is not very good so you might got me wrong.

12. falko

You should try to be less short-tempered. Instead of yelling "asshole" at Till you should have tried to understand what he wanted to say, namely that qmail support is possible if someone has the knowledge and time to do it - Till and I don't have the qmail knowledge, that's why we can't do it. We're also only human beings, and our to-do list is already very long...
    This forum lives from the fact that everyone tries to understand what the other one could have meant - and you should keep in mind that not everyone's a native English speaker here. But you did this: you misunderstood Till's post, and instead of thinking about the other possible meanings of his post, you got choleric immediately and started posting nonsense here.
    If everyone behaved like you here, then this forum wouldn't be what it is: one of the most friendly Linux support sites on the internet.

13. Thunderbirdsei

Thunderbirdsei New Member

Yeah, I can confirm that. Before blaming around, just ask the counterpart if you comprehend it the right way.

14. www.sorehands.com

www.sorehands.com New Member

Qmail support

I know that you don't have qmail support, currently. But, what is needed to add qmail support?

Or at the least, go out to vqadmin to add a mail domain. Then go to qmailadmin to manage the qmail domain. The issue that I see is the coordination of the domain password.

I have the qmailrocks and djbdnsrocks set up and am happy with it. The only problem is the password and management between the different components and vsftpd and frontpage extensions and I was thinking that ISPConfig could glue this all together.

15. till

ISPConfig has event based classes with functions like web_insert, user_insert, etc. that where called with root priveliges after a web or users was inserted.
    The functions are in the file /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php

These classes had to be enhanced that, if qmail is installed, the qmail config files where written instead of the postfix files.

vsftpd and frontpage where already supported in ISPConfig. djbdns is not supported yet, but you can either use bind instead or the functions that write the bind config had to be enhanced to support djbdns.

16. falko

Have a look at /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_postfix.lib.php and /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_sendmail.lib.php. You could write a script /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_qmail.lib.php that uses the same functions that are in the other two sripts.
    Afterwards, you must change the value of server_mta in the isp_server table in the ISPConfig database to qmail.

17. robinbowes

robinbowes New Member

Just a quick note to say that I too am interested in qmail (and qpsmtpd) support in ISPConfig.

I'm currently installed a test server and will have a look at writing a qmail module when I've got up to speed with how ISPConfig works.

R.

18. timehost

timehost New Member

qmail is a pain in the a..

Looks like you never had to install or upgrade or add new features to qmail (toaster instructions do not count also), since qmail is not distributed by any packages form, you have to compile everything from scratch.And incorporate many many patches to make it run in todays standards such as anti virus and spam filters. even virtual domains. So ISPConfig is meant to be fast and easy to maintain, with minimal impact to the users on eventual upgrades.

I do not see qmail as a necessity in a simple webhosting environment.

Arda Ovacik
    Timehost Network Administrator

19. robinbowes

robinbowes New Member

qmail + qpsmtpd = perfect match

On the contrary, I install/upgrade qmail all the time - it's my job.

Compiling from source is no hardship - I can pretty much do it with a one0shot script.

I think it's significant that qmail-1.03 has not needed any security fixes since it was released in 2001, or whenever it was. Not bad going don't you think?

I actually use qpsmtpd (qmail-smtpod replacement) which is much easier to extend (it's written in perl) and comes with virus/spam plugins "out-of-the-box". It does pretty much everything I want/need it to do and is easily extensible to provide any features that are missing.

R.

20. Paranoia

Paranoia New Member

willing to help/write a vpopmail extension

Hi.
    I saw that this post was long since was updated, so I'm taking the opportunity as i just installed the ISPConfig to help you ppl to build a vpopmail plugin.
    In my opinion most qmail admins that wish to make qmail capable of dealing with virtual domains on a a server, they install vpopmail (i think, in my case i did).
    Now the good thing in vpopmail is that, anyting you whant to do, add domain, email, alias, e.t.c., is done by executing some command in $vpopmailhome/bin with a parameter (if you setup everything ok)
    In my case i know how vpopmail has to take its commands and how it works. So if i want to add a domain manualy (wich i dont do, i use qma iladmin or vqadmin) i know how to do it. The bad thing now is reconfiguring a class in /ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes to do that actions. I know a bit about php but if you are not the one that wrote the actual program/code , it will take you days to find out exactly how it works, in order to modify it to your neats.
    What i neat now? Well any help will be appreciated. Either till or falko explain me a bit how a procmail or a sendmail class works so i can modify and create a vpopmail class, or supply them with all they neat, so they can modify one. Anything is good
    Thanks