ISPCONFIG server migration with apache to litespeed webserver

Discussion in 'General' started by Udson Assis, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Udson Assis

Udson Assis Member

Friends, I have an ISPConfig server configured with apache, I would like to know if it is possible to replace apache for litespeed webserver and continue using ISPconfig as an admin panel.

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig supports Apache2 and nginx.

3. jaypabs

jaypabs Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to use Litespeed also. But can't find any information. Did you manage to use Litespeed with ISPConfig 3?

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It means other than that web server is not supported.

5. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

Could someone who wants to migrate to (Open)Litespeed tell me why they want to switch?
    I'm just curious for the reasons...

6. concept21

concept21 Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

LiteSpeed supports HTTP/3 out of box. HTTP/3 supports mobile network "Access Point" or "Hot Spot" switching seamlessly. :D:p

If Nginx and Apache do not catch up, they will lose market share very fast.

7. michelangelo

Is it really just HTTP/3?

HTTP/3 reached beta/rc-stage something like 1 month ago in Nginx and is marked as production-ready, although they continue to improve and work on it.
    Don't know about Apache httpd though.

I think they will just need more time than Nginx Inc already needs/needed to implement it.

ahrasis likes this.
  8. 18TommyBoy

18TommyBoy New Member

+1 for OpenLiteSpeed.
    I can not use kindergarden like Nginx or old Apache. I must use new technologies for Ultra-heavy loads (every WP site with 50-80k products and 24/7 updating prices). Nginx or Apache die in seconds or max minutes. I try anything with it, Plesk, Hestia and all hosting panels I try, errors, giving up in minutes. And I not say the loadtime is smaller with OLS.
    With OLS start any site, working .htaccess and brutal clockwork without any change settings. DDOS protection and other new things is very usefull and MUST BE there. Nginx and Apache near there is like Pikachu from Pokémon... I can´t understand what people still using it (maybe other .html sites?)

9. felan

felan Member HowtoForge Supporter

I'd love to get OpenLiteSpeed as well. Apache is a heavy old giant these days....

18TommyBoy likes this.
  10. michelangelo

I'm aware of the benefits of (Open)Litespeed.
    Yet Nginx is for most performance workloads fine and it can compete with Litespeed when it is working in an optimized setup.
    Apache is clearly one of the slowest web servers, but this is sufficient for basic use cases and goes beyond hosting simple .html files...

ISPConfig is also highly configurable and open source. There are always ways & solutions to increase the performance of an ISPConfig setup, the only thing that it doesn't support is an one-button-high-performance-boost-solution.

Nonetheless someone has to implement Litespeed support and yes, it would be neat to have it supported by ISPConfig, yet no one stepped up to implement it. Maybe you want to implement the support for it?

I would like to remind that this is an open source project where most work is done by volunteers in their spare free time and sometimes features are "donated/sponsored" by hosting companies because they are using a fork of ISPConfig and want to give something to the project back.

ahrasis and till like this.
  11. 18TommyBoy

18TommyBoy New Member

Nginx can´t process PHP and there ending. Html files can OLS with his LScache fast sending too. .htaccess not support. Very bad anyways.
    OLS install and work.
    We want to see OLS in any webpanels like second option... :) (Maybe faster with ChatGPT)

12. ahrasis

Do you really know what you are talking about or merely posting here to get OLS to be supported. It doesn't work that way and @michelangelo already explained that.

So far that I can see you or anyone else can already simply run your own OLS web server without ISPConfig, you don't need ISPConfig for that at all.

13. Endre Utchay

Endre Utchay New Member

I think they all get here for the same reason like me - because we all got some or more experience with web control panels like ispconfig or plesk and we have found that OLS web control panels like CyberPanel or Direct Admin are _way_ behind these another solutions.
    We all know that a web server does not need any control panel to operate. They all can be set up and running with using manual configuration - which is kind of acceptable if you have the skills to perform manual configuration using something like ssh + nano only and you only need to do this for one or two websites, but for a professional admin woking with much more sites that will not be effective.
    So we _feel_ that we need the best possible web server and the most effective control panel for handling it, which currently does not exist.

I think this could also be a great possibility for ISPConfig to reach much more users.

Thanks and regards,
    Endre

till likes this.
  14. ahrasis

That could be true but none of those who use or intend to use OLS contribute to that when they actually should or can do that by actively participating in ISPConfig development especially for that purpose.

Personally to me it is not that difficult if I use OLS or intend to use it with ISPConfig because they are already web server code for both Apache2 and Nginx in ISPConfig that can be used as samples and tweaked to support OLS as the third web server in ISPConfig.

However, I can only see those who demanded this never even participated and merely putting hope on other people's time and efforts, so no, I don't see why that need to be attended too, no matter what they claim it to be or will be.

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    Nicram likes this.
  15. Endre Utchay

Endre Utchay New Member

Well, that depends on what "participation" means for you.
    This is a community with users and developers with very different skills. Some of us (like me) can only depend on other people (the developers) as we are on user level.
    But we are actively reporting errors, demanding new features, asking questions - which really is time consuming to even read, understand and answer for other people, but this is the way how open source communities work.
    We all depend on each other.
    Developers might sometimes think that users are simply too lazy to do coding, but we are not good enough to write code on that level.
    So _this_ is my participation.
    :)

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  16. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

@Endre Utchay Thank you for participating in the community and voting for this feature, we really appreciate it. We will of course consider adding another web server besides Nginx, Apache, and Nginx reverse proxy before apache (coming soon) in ISPConfig, if there is enough demand for it in the community.

felan and Endre Utchay like this.
  17. concept21

concept21 Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,
    What is this trick? How does it help to accelerate my ISPConfig v3.2?:rolleyes:

18. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i'd definitely be interested... if it works how i'd like it to..
    would that be apache dealing with wordpress et al, allowing .htaccess files, etc as in a normal apache perfect server, with nginx just providing caching / serving static content?
    would the nginx config be a single standard global config (no vhosts) or would nginx still need vhost config changes to allow wordpress sites etc?
    i don't have much experience with nginx, so having to make those sorts of changes is what puts me off using it... i don't have the spare time to learn it well enough to be comfortable with it.

19. ahrasis

Like any web server, nginx still needs vhost to work, hence I could only see the developers are trying to re-develop the old plugin, may be by rewriting it, to allow running two web services, nginx before apache2, in the same server.

However, I personally do not think it's best if a same server run dual web services as the resources remains the same yet the work loads are more, unless the server specs are high.

In any event, one can already create an ISPConfig nginx server as a reverse proxy before another ISPConfig server but may need to work on own customization for that.

Also, there is a possibility, that may be the developers are working to make it works on both situations, either in one same server or two servers, which is the best but will put them into lots of work.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  20. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, that's how such a reverse setup works. You can find the reverse proxy plugin here:

https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/merge_requests/1703

ahrasis likes this.