ispconfig server without a domain?

Discussion in 'General' started by Macias, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Macias

Macias New Member

Halo!

I'm running an openSUSE10.1(Falko Timmes perfect setup) based server with ispconfig up and running well.
    My problem is that i'd like to run the server only with the IP provided by my isp and have no idea how to do it correctly. So far during reading various posts I have found out that its not recommended though not impossible.

I hope posting my problem here will clear all my doubts.

Regards,
    Macias

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You need domain names if you want to create virtual hosts with ISPConfig. Using IP addresses doesn't work.

3. danf.1979

danf.1979 Member

I thinks he wants to use his IP to reach the ISPConfig server.
    You must answer in the installer:
    IP: your ip
    host: (empty)
    domain: your ip again

4. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Mind that you can not use/manage websites this way. ISPConfig is based on Name Based Virtual hosts. I see little use in ISPConfig running on a single IP.

It's better to use a '/etc/hosts' workaround (even on a Windowze client you can still have a hosts file override DNS lookups). And far more better is to run a local DNS server.

5. Macias

Macias New Member

Thank You, Thats just what I ment.:D

6. Macias

Macias New Member

Thank You for Your help.

I do agree when it goes about hosting websites, thats why I was asking if running the server based only on the ip is possible because in my situation I don't find sense in spending money for registering a domain for the server where I don't need it while I have 7 external ips available.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.:confused:

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig is a hosting controlpanel for virtaul domains, if you dont need it, you should consider to configure your server manually as you cant use the other featues like email without a domain.

By the way, you can get free subdomains from many services like dyndns for free.

8. Macias

Macias New Member

Ok, things getting clear in my noob head.
    Just one last question and I'm home:
    can I run the server using the xyz.xxx.tld and host website on xxx.tld/www.xxx.tld. I'm going to use my registrars external dns servers. Is this correct?

P.S.
    Falko and Tim - You must be sick of noobs like me so thanks again for wasting time answering my dumm questions.

9. Macias

Macias New Member

Forgot to thank for the dyndns link. Indeed it solves my problem completely.:D

Big Thanks!