ISPConfig Service - Required?

Discussion in 'General' started by goddfadda, Aug 11, 2007.

1. goddfadda

goddfadda New Member

ISPConfig rocks! Makes building new servers so easy. And as most people know, once a server is built and operating, there really is no need to go in and change things.

Which is why I ask... may I safely disable the ISPConfig services?

/etc/init.d/ispconfig_server
    and
    /etc/init.d/ispconfig_tcpserver

Why do this? Well, my server has 256MB ram. I would love to kill that running ISPConfig apache service since I'm not using it. If I need to make a config change, I'll start the service, make the change, and kill it again.

The other reason, its a security risk having the service listening on port 81 asking for a pw. It can get dictionary attacked.

My only fear, if I kill the service, will some jobs not run? Such as log rotates and/or web statistics, mail operations? So far it only looks like I'll lose freshclam, and I dont use anti vir check anyway.

Thanks
    Nick D.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can stop /etc/init.d/ispconfig_server without interrupting the normal server operation, but be aware that your clamav antivirus filter will not get any updates anymore then. The log splitting and statistics works via cron and will not get interrupted.

/etc/init.d/ispconfig_tcpserver is for FTP, if you stop this, you will loose FTP access.