IspConfig SMTP configuration

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by vaio1, Apr 27, 2017.

1. vaio1

vaio1 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hello,
    I have a little doubt about my debian multiserver configuration.
    • Web Server
    • Db Server
    • Mail Server (postfix installed and configured)
    • Web Server 2
    In order to avoid many MTA installed in the servers I have seen that ISPConfig has a specific section for the Relayhost.
    Can I use the SMTP external server in order to send all the ISPConfig mail system messages ?
    Have I to configure it with a SMTP account, in this section ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I would not use the ISPConfig settings for this as this would require a complete ispconfig mails etup on the other nodes.
    Insteadof that, just install a minimal postfix system on the other nodes, then set relayhost of all nodes except of the mail node to the hostname of the mail node and on the mail node, add the IP addresses of all other nodes in the mynetworks line. That way, all other nodes are relaying their email messages trough the mail server and they don't have to authenticate there.

DDArt likes this.
  3. vaio1

Hi Till,
    thanks for the clarification but in this case the website scripts could use the mail server to spam, or not?
    thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes.

5. vaio1

so is this a good solution to configure a multiserver?

6. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Maybe you can enforce that the website owners 'Contact Us' forms use SMTP instead of PHP and disable PHP mailer for the websites.

7. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

If you want a single MTA to send mail, i would use Till's soulution. I usually did not store all IPs from mynetworks in the main.cf. I have mynetworks = $config_directory/mynetworks and in /etc/postfix/mynetworks:
    127.0.0.0/8
    [::1]/128
    192.168.0.0/24

A single file is a little bit easier to maintain.