ispconfig transfer to new server

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Tom John, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Tom John

Tom John Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi guys,

i did transfer all domains and webspace to a new server with ubuntu18.04 and ISPConfig 3.1
    I did copy all ispconfig files and as well the /var/www files as well as i made a mysqldump from the databases. I have all information in the new ispconfig and i can see all the data in /var/www/clients
    Code:
    root@server4:~# ls /var/www/clients/client1/web2/web/
    2awvgtggmcgwqymuobq33qywpkp7jsud.php
    cgi-bin
    dup-installer
    dup-installer-bootlog__5a8dc15-08084458.txt
    error
    index.php
    installer-backup.php
    license.txt
    readme.html
    robots.txt
    stats
    wp-activate.php
    wp-admin
    wp-blog-header.php
    wp-comments-post.php
    wp-config-sample.php
    wp-config.php
    wp-content
    wp-cron.php
    wp-includes
    wp-links-opml.php
    wp-load.php
    wp-login.php
    wp-mail.php
    wp-settings.php
    wp-signup.php
    wp-trackback.php
    xmlrpc.php

Then i changed the ip from the domain to the new server.
    for example: www.rooms-tenerife.com
    But now instead of see my website i get the apache ubuntu default website.
    Why i can not see my website?

It would be great if someone could help me with this matter
    thanks a lot in advance

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you copy the config files, Linux users and groups to the new server as well from /etc?

3. Tom John

thanks for you answer.
    i did copy:
    /var/www/
    /usr/local/ispconfig/
    /var/log/ispconfig/
    /var/backup/
    /etc/crontab
    thats all what i did copy ( well and the mysql dump)

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The website users and groups are in /etc/passwd, /etc/group and /etc/shadow. Withouth these users your websites can not work since they have no owner and group in the system. But you can not copy those files directly, there are lots of system users that should not be copied from other hosts.
    You might try forcing recync services with ispconfig_update.sh
    https://www.faqforge.com/linux/controlpanels/ispconfig3/how-to-update-ispconfig-3/
    but I am not sure if that writes the users to /etc/passwd et al.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This will add only the user and group ispconfig and the user ispapps and vmail, it will not add the website users. Using Tools > Resync in ISPConfig will add the website users, but they might get wrong ID's which then will cause sites to fail, that's why it's important to move the right users from passwd and shadow file to the new server and also config files of various services incl. apache. This is quite complicated to do everything correctly and one needs good Linux and ISPConfig knowledge for such a Migration when you want to do it manually, that's why we developed the migration tool which automates the whole process.

6. Tom John

Thanks for you answer.
    I did order already the migration tool, thanks for advise me.

If i do a backup of the server, and for example the hdd is broken so i need to install a new system. The data of the old server would not be available anymore then the migration tool does not work, right?

how can i avoid the above problem and how do i need to make a backup that i can recover it whatever happens?
    Now I backup all important files, but like you said above, this does not mean i can recover all the server data because of the problem with wrong IDs etc.

How can i avoid this problem?
    thanks a lot for your kind help always and sorry for bother with these problems.

7. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Correct. The old and the new system must both be running when the migration is being done.
    If you have backups of the website files, databases and mail directories, you can restore them to a new host. This is quite a lot of work if there are a lot of websites and mail users.
    You can make a disk image copy of the host, then you can restore that to bare metal and get a new host running fast. If you run a virtual machine, then disk image copy is easy and it can perhaps be done while the host is running.