ISPConfig & Typo3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Taxi, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Taxi

Taxi Member

Hello,
    I'm using Typo3 since 15 years and have installed more than 100 sites. This is my first experience with Typo3 within ISPConfig.
    I migrated a running site from one server, where I managed the sites directly without a tool. I used /www/var/TYPO3CMS/typo3_src-version as shared source for a couple of sites.
    In my ISPConfig I placed the source under /var/www/typo3_src-9.5.14 and created a symlink from /var/www/domain1.de/web/
    Unfortunately this results into an 403 Forbidden error.
    When I place the source folder into the /var/www/domain1.de/web it works perfectly.
    I have added the path /var/www/typo3_src-9.5.14 to the open_basedir path of domain1.de.
    What do I have to do, in order to be able to symlink from the domain.de/web folder to the source in /var/www and thus being able to share the resources between multiple sites instead of duplicatin the typo3-source folder into every web folder of each domain?
    Many thanks
    Christian

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The problem may be file owners and permissions. I can not offer a good solution that would not break security.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You would have to allow symlinks to directories which have a different owner, this can be done by creating a custom vhost template or by adding the config to the apache directives field of the website in ISPConfig. But that's insecure as it would allow symlink attacks from these sites to other sites and system directories. Personally, I won't do such an insecure setup on my servers, instead, I would e.g. use a script to automatically update copies of the source directory in the websites when needed.

Th0m likes this.
  4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

what about the way phpmyadmin or roundcube does it?
    create a conf file in /etc/apache2/conf-available for it, and enable it, using whatever name was used for the symlink as the alias.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I don't think that this will work for this case as Typo3 is not completely in that folder, only some general source files are there which get included by php from other files that are in the website.

6. Taxi

Taxi Member

I tried to place the website1.com under /var/www/TYPO3CMS/website1.com/htdocs/ as I hat it on the old server.
    Because I'm running quite a few websites on my own, this could work for me to manage the my own websites directly and not via ISPConfig. Then I would change the ownership of the sites to www-data.www-data and use custom website1.com.conf in the apache2/sites-available/
    In this case I have to delete the domain in ISPConfig under Sites and leave the domain only under E-Mail to be able to manage my E-Mail accounts through ISPConfig.
    What is your opinion?
    Kind regards
    Christian

7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I've never used typo3, but just tossing it an idea, perhaps you could bind mount the shared directory inside each web home at /private/typo3/ and point there? Then each website can run as an individual use like normal.