ISPConfig + Ubuntu 6.06 questions...

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jwan, Dec 5, 2006.

1. jwan

jwan New Member

Hi all... sorry for the unclear thread subject, I just have a few questions about my server setup (ISPconfig 2.2.8 + Ubuntu 6.06):

a. my system all of sudden hangs, the HD lights keeps on lighting, i hard reset the system and it works again. How to know what the problem is? what cpu process?

b. I sometimes get FAILED TO INITIALIZE HAL during reboot, what is it? how to solve?

c. If incoming mail is to an unknown user, what will happen? does it bounce? how can I just make it drop/delete or perhaps get sent to admin?

d. how can I set system-wide whitelist? what about system-wide blacklist? some incoming mails errorneously tag as spam

2. BriX

BriX New Member

ubuntu hal error

I've seen that HAL failed to initialize error before. Try the ubuntu forums:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-75328.html

As for emails to unknown users ispconfig has a catch all feature. This can be activated under site configuration -> user & email tab. Also you can forward mail from one account to another by adding the email address to the forward section under site -> users & email -> advanced settings.
    Whitelist and spam setting are available as well check the ISPConfig documentation.
    http://www.ispconfig.org/documentation.htm

3. jwan

jwan New Member

ok I setup a dummy account to catchall the unknown destination, I do this just so email won't bounce back eating my bandwidth from spammers. But things get worst, the server keep on working on something which I don't have any idea what it is doing, the hard drive lights is always lighted and I can hardly work on anything (my server is a P4 2.66 with 250MB drive), the keyboard response is very sloooow. I suspect it is doing something from email side, probably checking for spam or virus. So goes back to my question A, how to solve this problem?

Also is it wise to make a dummy account to auto-forward email to different users (eg. [email protected] will auto forward to [email protected], [email protected]... [email protected])? or is it better to install a mail list software? if so, what is good for ubuntu+ispconfig?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please run
    Code:
    and check all your logs in /var/log/ to find out what is going on.

5. jwan

jwan New Member

I did that and also check the log, problem is i dont know exactly what I am looking for with all those logs. I end up increasing the RAM from 256MB to 1GB. So far 23hrs uptime still no problem... crossing fingers.

Whats the recommended RAM size anyway?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

That depends on how many web sites, users, how much email traffic etc. you have. It's a matter of experience.
    I have a small server (Celeron 2400, 512MB RAM, ~50 web sites), and it doesn't have any load problems.