ISPConfig Web Console / Amavisd

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Barry Smith, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Barry Smith

Barry Smith New Member

Hi,
    Firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong area.

I have been running ISPConfig 3 on Rocky Linux 8 with no issues for well over a year.
    I noticed today that my emails were not appearing in my inbox. On further investigation, I could see that they were arriving at my server. (I used Webmin to check Postfix and I could see the emails in the message queue.)
    it would appear that Amavis had stopped working and was not connecting on post 10024.
    The service itself was failing to start.
    Code:
    systemctl --state=failed
      UNIT            LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
    ● amavisd.service loaded failed failed Amavis mail content checker

Code:
    systemctl status amavisd.service
    ● amavisd.service - Amavis mail content checker
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/amavisd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2024-06-19 16:53:56 BST; 1h 43min ago
         Docs: http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#doc
      Process: 72700 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/amavisd -c /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf $ARGS (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 19 16:53:56 mail.bksgd.co.uk systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restar>
    Jun 19 16:53:56 mail.bksgd.co.uk systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
    Jun 19 16:53:56 mail.bksgd.co.uk systemd[1]: Stopped Amavis mail content checker.
    Jun 19 16:53:56 mail.bksgd.co.uk systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    Jun 19 16:53:56 mail.bksgd.co.uk systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Jun 19 16:53:56 mail.bksgd.co.uk systemd[1]: Failed to start Amavis mail content checker.

I tried to check the status of Amavis using the ISPconfig console, but that appeared to have an issue of its own.
    I can log into the front page but cannot move anywhere else. If I click on a button for, say, "Monitor", the box pops up with the spinning dots, and then it disappears, but the web page doesn't change. This is the same for any page on the console site.
    I have tried updating ISPConfig to the latest release, which completed fine, (except for Amavis not starting), and have restarted httpd without any issues, but have not been able to resolve these problems.

Finally, I updated the OS to 8.10, but still no joy.

I have looked around for information on why Amavis is failing, but I cannot see anything on my system that matches previous known errors mentioned in posts.
    (This doesn't mean that I may have missed something.)

Is it possible to uninstall all of ISPConfig 3 and reinstall without losing any of my existing data?
    I can backup the MySQL database, but would need advice as to when to re-install it so that the data is accessible again to ISPConfig 3.

Any information you can suggest that might help me resolve these issues without re-installing would be most welcomed.
    Please feel free to ask for any logs or config files to help with a diagnosis.

Thanks in advance,
    Barry.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No. And this is not a good idea in this situation anyway.

Check the /var/log/maillog for errors when you restart Amavis.

Check the error.log in /var/log/httpd/ folder.

Run the test script and post the output:

https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/please-read-before-posting.58408/

3. Barry Smith

Barry Smith New Member

Till,

Thanks for your reply.

Text from /var/log/maillog when trying to process the messages that are sat in the message queue:
    Code:
    Jun 19 19:58:52 mail postfix/lmtp[132036]: connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024: Connection refused
    Jun 19 19:58:52 mail postfix/lmtp[132037]: connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024: Connection refused
    Jun 19 19:58:52 mail postfix/lmtp[132039]: connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024: Connection refused
    Error message from Systemctl when I try to start the Amavis service:

Code:
    systemctl status amavisd
    ● amavisd.service - Amavis mail content checker
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/amavisd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2024-06-19 20:44:26 BST; 6s ago
         Docs: http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#doc
      Process: 148544 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/amavisd -c /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf $ARGS (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 19 20:44:26 <FQDN_server_name> systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
    Jun 19 20:44:26 <FQDN_server_name> systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
    Jun 19 20:44:26 <FQDN_server_name> systemd[1]: Stopped Amavis mail content checker.
    Jun 19 20:44:26 <FQDN_server_name> systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    Jun 19 20:44:26 <FQDN_server_name> systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Jun 19 20:44:26 <FQDN_server_name> systemd[1]: Failed to start Amavis mail content checker.
    There are no entries in /var/log/maillog at the same time as the attempt to start the service.

I have attached a segment of the httpd error log from when I was trying to use the ISPConfig webpage console this afternoon. Looks like I seem to have an SELinux issue, but I have no idea as to why it has occurred.

Results of ISPConfig Test Script attached.

I hope this is of use. Let me know if you want anything else.

Thanks for your assistance.

Kind regards,
    Barry.

Attached Files:

4. Barry Smith

Barry Smith New Member

OK, I have fixed both issues.

ISPConfig 3 console not working:
    This was resolved by disabling SELinux.
    Code:
    nano /etc/selinux/config
    Change the "SELinux=" to disabled.
    (apparently, this is required for ISPConfig3 website to run.)
    Reboot the server.

Amavis Refusing to start:
    I took a backup of the amavisd.conf file. (/etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf).
    I then uninstalled Amavis from the server:
    Code:
    yum remove -y amavisd-new
    Reboot the server.
    Code:
    yum install -y amavisd-new
    I copied the backup of the amavisd.conf over the newly created one. (/etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf).
    Reboot the server.
    Check the status of the amavisd.service:
    Code:
    systemctl status amavisd
    Hopefully, the service should now be running correctly.
    Once the service is confirmed as running, I used the following command to flush the queue:
    Code:
    postqueue -f
    This resolved the issue.

Gwyneth Llewelyn and ahrasis like this.