ISPConfig with Laravel Websockets and Let's Encrypt

Discussion in 'General' started by kerrsmith, Dec 16, 2018.

1. kerrsmith

kerrsmith Member

I have just set up Laravel Websockets on my ISPConfig test server and have successfully got it working but I have run in to a minor problem.

In order to use SSL I need access to my Let's Encrypt certificates but as I am running my Laravel code as a non-root user I am not able to access the relevant SSL files in /var/www/my-domain/ssl/ (these link to the live certificates in /etc/letsencrypt/live/my-domain/). All the certificate files are owned by root.

As a work around I have copied the two certificates I need to my user's home directory and changed their permissions to give my user access.

This works successfully but it does mean every time the certificates expire I will have to copy them again.

Is there a better method for what I am trying to achieve?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

In settings for that website, is SUID on or off?

3. kerrsmith

kerrsmith Member

I am not sure what you mean, I can not see any reference to this in my settings...

Do you mean the SUID part of the permissions on the certificates?

4. Taleman

No.
    The SUEXEC setting for the website.

5. kerrsmith

kerrsmith Member

The SUEXEC setting for the domain is set to on (ticked, the default value I think).

6. kerrsmith

kerrsmith Member

If I am not able to access these certificates as a non root user is there a way to trigger these files to be copied as soon as their certificate updates?

If I manually set up a cron job for example I would probably not be able to time it to copy the files as soon as the certificate has been updated, this would mean the certificates I am using would be out of date for a while.

7. Taleman

Possible it is. Look for inspiration in @ahrasis script that copies certificates to other applications. It sets up incron to copy the certificates as soon as they change. See the le4ispc.sh script.
    https://github.com/ahrasis/LE4ISPC