ISPConfig with multiple CMSs

Discussion in 'General' started by Bebop17, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Bebop17

Bebop17 New Member

I have set up Centos 5.1 Perfect LAMP + ISPConfig 2.2.3 + suPHP. I've just moved from WAMP to LAMP so I'm new to wrestling with .htaccess and mod_rewrite (but I figure it can't be worse than trying to get pretty URLs out of IIS :D ). I want to install multiple CMSs and am wondering how to plan them within my server's infrastructure - what to do at CLI and what within ISPConfig's structure.

I need a bunch of Wordpress sites, one WordpressMU site, and several Drupal sites. I have found a few threads about ISPConfig/Drupal or ISPConfig/WP but nothing about multiple *different* CMSs.

Can I set things up with only three code installs, without sacrificing security? That would be ideal.
    - one reg. Wordpress install feeding many sites, each with their own wp-content (themes, plugins etc.)
    - one WPMU install serving one domain, many subdomains, same choices of themes and plugins but different content
    - one Drupal install feeding several sites, each with their own themes etc.

I am planning a second server (same setup) very soon so if it would be better to split this up over two machines, what would be the best way to do it? (where best = most secure and simplest to administer)

Finally, if I'm already tugging at things to make the multiple CMSs work, could I also set up Roundcube on port 80 with pretty URLs according to this tutorial http://www.howtoforge.com/roundcube_webmail_ispconfig
    or would I just be complicating things ridiculously?

Thanks! :)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I recommend that you add for every cms a new website and then install the cms into this site. If you dont have a domain for every site, you can use subdomains.

3. Bebop17

Bebop17 New Member

I have enough domain names; that's not a problem.

Soooooo I think what you're saying is that it's not worth whatever server gains would be made by sharing base code? Just keep it simple - one CMS, one database, one site?

Simple I can live with. :)

So with multiple Wordpress and Drupal sites sharing the server, do you have any advice on how to handle all the fussy redirects and have pretty URLs for all? Tips, tricks, traps to look out for? Do you set it all up in ISPConfig via site-specific Apache directives, manually or some other way?

Any tips for optimizing the environment for such a setup would be very welcome.

Thanks!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I'd use .htaccess files (I think Drupal and Wordpress already come with sample .htaccess files).

5. zeeman

zeeman New Member

The current WP-htaccess-file is ok.

The current Drupal htacces-file is a litte.. err...don't know how to call it.
    With a default ISPconfig Drupal won't start because the htaccess file tries to override some locked options.
    Just comment the DirectoryIndex and php-releated lines (and add them through ispconfig apache directives if you want)