ISPConfig with PHP8

Discussion in 'General' started by Alecs, Dec 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Alecs

Alecs New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am just curious if there is a roadmap for PHP8 support? or is it already supported? Does anyone has an idea of this?
    Thank you

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I already installed php8.0 on my ISPConfig server and it works just fine. Simply follow tutorials for multiple php as your guides.

Gwyneth Llewelyn likes this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can use PHP 8 as an additional PHP version for websites in ISPConfig, but don't change the default PHP version of the operating system to PHP 8.

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

PHP 8.0 is currently not supported. We are planning to support it, but there is no fixed/projected for that. You can use it as additional version.

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In (unofficial) comment only, php versions are supported by ISPConfig when a linux distribution uses that version as their system default, and ISPConfig supports that OS version. There is a lot of work to do for php v8, it wouldn't surprise me to see it in a ISPConfig v4.0 rewrite, rather than reworking all the v3.x code.

6. Alecs

Alecs New Member

Thank you everybody for the replies.
    Additional question: is there a recommended tutorial to follow in order to get php8 in versions? I don't want to break my nice ISPConfig config :)

7. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

On which distribution do you have your ISPConfig running? Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian?
    In case of CentOS 7/8: Get the php80* packages from Remi Repo. If you run Ubuntu/Debian then someone may want to suggest what to do since I'm not familiar with its 3rd party repos.

Just a good advice:
    1. Don't install any PHP version which you've compiled straight from source by yourself. Always use pre-compiled packages on binary distributions!
    2. Don't replace your system's PHP version with PHP 8.0 as it was already stated here in this thread, that ISPConfig code is not compatible yet with PHP 8.0 but you can install PHP 8.0 in parallel as an additional PHP version. See the point "Additional PHP versions" in ISPConfig itself.

8. till

Gwyneth Llewelyn and ahrasis like this.
  9. brainsys

brainsys Member

I note that the nightlies of Debian 11/Bullseye use php 7.4. Do you know if they will stick to that or likely to go php 8.0 for release (expected mid 2021)? Presumably that determines whether ISPConfig is supported at that time.

10. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think ubuntu tends to release a little more frequently with updated software versions, so you might see ubuntu before Debian.

11. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Next Ubuntu LTS (I guess ISPConfig does not support the Ubuntu versions between LTSs) is going to be 22.04. So ISPConfig support on Ubuntu probably comes in 2022.
    PHP 8 is packaged for Debian but has not yet reached Testing. Debian 11 freeze happens next spring, so PHP 8 may get to Debian 11. https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/php8.0

12. Omar Piani

Omar Piani New Member

Hi! only to say that works!
    I have PHP 18.04 with ondrej/php nginix fpm packages from 5.6 to 8.0! ;) tnx to all

ahrasis likes this.
  13. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ahrasis wrote in #2 and Till in #3:

14. K4M1L

K4M1L New Member

but how? What packages? Is there ISPC friendly tutorial? My systems are stubbornly reporting package not found, compilation seem to be giving not enought mods and so on. Is there some repo for Debian 9 that I am missing? I did successfully installed it on my test server from source, but I cant find all the binaries for rest of the packages that are usually instaled for "additional php versions". Also I found that there is specific order of installing packages in PHP8. Is there an easy way?

15. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Read the guide linked to in #8.

16. K4M1L

K4M1L New Member

thank you but it's only up to 7.4

17. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It is a guide, so, use as a guide?

18. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

read the 3rd line of till's post #8

19. Redwarp

Redwarp Member

Hi there
    Apologies for coming back on an old thread I will start a new one if preferred but:
    1) Is the above mentioned tutorial the latest/best available guide still ?
    2) I have Ubuntu 20.04 and need to add PHP >= 8 of some flavour
    3) Guide mentions debian versions up to 11 (section 9) I am afraid I dont know how to interpret this in relation to ubuntu 20.04LTS, could you help with that please.
    4) Finally, with my OS version as above, what is your recommended/supported php (default) version to set in order that ispconfig3 is stable ?

Many thanks

20. till

yes

Then you can use that guide, the only difference is that you don't add the sury repository, instead you run:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php
    sudo apt-get update
    which is the same repository just for Ubuntu from the same maintainer (Ondrej).

Never alter the default version of an OS. All packages of the OS depend on that version and ISPConfig does that too. Just add newer and older PHP versions as additional PHP versions and set the default version back to the original version using update-alternatives command as mentioned in the guide.

Redwarp likes this.