ISPCONFIG with Zimbra, or Scalix?

Discussion in 'General' started by geeksbydesign, Jan 29, 2007.

1. geeksbydesign

geeksbydesign New Member

I think we all agree that ISPconfig is a great product. I really like the invoice ability, and especially how it divides the different domains for website administration. I find these features absolutely invaluable. One piece that is a setback is the administration of multiple domains. Though I know this will be available in the new version, I am compelled to look for a different email alternative. The web management is a very important feature, so I looked at Zimbra. Full of really awesome features, Zimbra is an absolutely phenomenal piece of software. I got mine working with very little help from our friend google, (I admittedly, am no Linux guru.)

I open this thread to conversation about installing ISPconfig with Zimbra, or Scalix. Does anyone have experience with this configuration? Pros and Cons about it?

A howto would be priceless!

2. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Zimbra should run on it's own piece of hardware/VM. Don't mess with it. I know, cause I'm talking directly to the people of the Zimbra company. You can combine the two by making use of the external mail server option of ISPConfig.

Then what needs to be done is to write a SOAP extension for ISPConfig to talk against the Zimbra API's to create and manage users.

I can only tell at this moment in time, I'm very keen to combine ISPConfig and Zimbra.

3. henrygud

henrygud New Member

This would be absolutely great :) Hopefully something will happen til make this possible soon.

Henry

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I doubt that this will work as ISPConfig needs Postfix.

5. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Zimbra would just be the external MTA for a specific domain. I believe ISPConfig has the ability to work with an external MX, right?

So what needs to be done is create SOAP calls to the Zimbra installation to create domains/, mail users, etc. It can be done, I'm at this moment working on a commercial integration between a CP and Zimbra with a partner company. Sorry, that's all I can share at the moment. :cool:

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, you can set the affected domains to "External Mailserver" in ISPConfig.

7. nenad

nenad Member

Is there anyone here who successfully installed Scalix on Debian Sarge or Etch?
    On separate server, not on ISPConfig server.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  8. nenad

nenad Member

Update:

After a lot of errors I finally managed to sucessfully install SCALIX on Debian Etch.

I do hope I will soon write "How-to". I will benefit from it also, because I tend to forgot how I done something within week or a two :)
    --------------------
    Basically most of my posts here are acutally reminder to my own self how to do something :)
    ---------------------
    BTW How to write an "how to" ? Should I contact falko or till to give me some approval for ?

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

10. nenad

nenad Member

Just in case that I go completely crazy due to struggling with SCALIX, HylaFAX etc (and combining all of them into one box) and I do never finish "how-to" :) (and for the eager ones), here is a link for installing SCALIX on Debian Etch... READ CAREFULLY POSTS! Especially related to creating of users on the system, IP address of your SCALIX server/box and about resolvconf:

http://www.scalix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5352&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_Installation_Debian_Etch
    ----------------------
    update: to bypass scalix and to reach system user faxgw where is script for email-tofax gateway you have to use:

[email protected]
    where
    faxgw is user name in whose home folder is fax to gateway script
    scalix is scalix host
    mydomain.com is of course your domain where scalix resided.

it took me a week to figure out that accidentally.

I'll write manual it will be more clear then.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007