ispconfig without dns

Discussion in 'General' started by bennyhill, Jul 26, 2007.

1. bennyhill

bennyhill New Member

is it possible, and feasible to use ispconfig without dns?

i currently have a ubuntu serber configured and ispconfig running on it. i dont want to use the server for dns, just hosting. i currently have it setup with bind but need to remove this as all dns is going to be handled by my location handler (it is a co-location server) they want to handle all dns connections, so how do i do this and how do i create websites this way?

2. rafael-ec

rafael-ec New Member

I don't use dns on my server and have no problem at all.

Greetings.

3. Leszek

Leszek Member

Me to.
    But You have to remember that You have to use an another dns server to use more domains.The second thing is that when You would create a new site in ISPConfig You'd have to edit dns records on the outside dns server You use as ISPConfig won't do it by itself-that's normal.

4. bennyhill

bennyhill New Member

cheers guys, so as it is can i just stop bind running on my server and start creating sites? during the site creation process i can just set the dns to the outside server?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Just create the sites. You dont have to set anything in DNS in ispconfgig if you use a external dns server.

6. bennyhill

bennyhill New Member

thanks a million for the help, it is best to turn bind off?

7. till

I would leave bind on. Bind is not only used as dns server for your domains, it is also used as local dns server to resolve domains which may speed up email and statistics generation on your server.

But you might want to disable the ability for external hosts to lookup domains trough your server:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6900

8. tom

tom Member

Does bind caches the resolved domains without any zone file configured?
    Or how to you us bind only as cache with bind9 and ispconfig3?

9. till