ISPConfig2 vs ISPConfig3

Discussion in 'General' started by blackice, Sep 7, 2009.

1. blackice

blackice New Member

Hello!

I actually use ISPConfig2 and everything is ok with it, but I am in need for creating a new webserver and I want a suggestion.

Do you suggest me to use ISPConfig3 over ISPConfig2 ?
    My webserver will not host more than 200 domains.

Thank you!

2. dclardy

dclardy Member

Anyone got any ideas? I am asking myself the same question.

I am using ISPConfig 3.0 right now, but I want the most stable platform. Is ISPConfig 2.0 the better choice?

Thanks.

3. dclardy

dclardy Member

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

4. Stown

Stown Member

I am running ispconfig 3 for a couple months and it runs great, no big problems had ever. But it is not really finished yet, so if you go for safe and you need it realy for production than you pick ispconfig 2 even if i think that ispconfig 3 works good but yeah not soo bugfixed as ispconfig 2.

5. 3DPeruna

3DPeruna New Member

I've got an ISPConfig 2.x running with about 30 domains. Works well and is stable. However, I'm wondering what the advantages are to upgrade (rebuild) to a 3.0.

1) How is the end-user experience better?
    2) How is the administrative experience better?
    3) What are the challenges related to porting over sites from 2.x to 3.x?

TIA.

Paul

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you are satisfied with ISPConfig 2, then I recommend to stay with ISPConfig 2.

The main advantage of ISPConfig 3 is that you can administer multiple servers from one controlpanel interface and that it uses virtual users for email. Also there is no direct update path from ISPConfig 2 to 3.

7. 3DPeruna

3DPeruna New Member

Till,

Thank you. Since I don't have multiple servers, yet, I'll stick with 2. I'm also not too keen on the upgrade path from 2 to 3...essentially requiring a full backup and then restore.

8. CubAfull

CubAfull Member

I love ISPConfig 3...

1- virtual users (no more webx_ in mail)
    2- software update (no AV update delay)
    3- exelent interface
    4- extremely stable (Debian)
    5- is the future :D
    6- and more...

make a new installation of ISPConfig 3 and test... if you don't like it, go for ispconfig 2 :)

9. damir

damir New Member

I have been using ISPconfig2 for about 2 years and it was/is rock solid, now we have bigger needs and we are rolling out multi server environment with ISPconfig3.

Multi Server function is THE reason to move from v2 and other things like virtualmail users, language editor and that you can have separated email hosting packages as well webhosting packages.

We are rolling out ISPconfig3 as interface only on one server, than we are connecting webserver/db, mailserver and dns servers. They are all separated servers. Behind that we have san storage and bacula backup solution. All this is runing on Debian Lenny 64bit.

We are still in testing period and if it continuos to work as good as now we are deploying the new hosting solution next month. All this is possible with the new ISPconfig 3 and as you can see there is huge advantages with the new version.

Than again if you don't have many clients than you can stick with v2 but i think that more users should move to v3 so the dev team can fine tune v3 :)

ISPconfig community with the developers are just awesome, thank you so much for this nice piece of software. You guys deserve all the credit :)