ISPConfig3.1 MultiServer Setup Advice

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sheshes, Aug 29, 2016.

1. sheshes

sheshes Member

Hello and congrats on the 3.1 version. Incredible progress!

I recently bought a new vm server and want to build my ispconfig3 setup from scratch to a multi-server setup. I managed to set it up and all services are functional, but I have some questions regarding "Correct server setup). And I explain.

The Server Schema:
    web.example.com main webserver running phpmyadmin, letsencrycpt, ispconfig
    backup.example.com backup server
    db.example.com only database mysql
    ns1.2ndexample.com primary dns on a different domain hosted here as well
    ns2.2ndexample.com secondary dns
    mail.example.com mailserver postfix-dovecot (and hopefully integrate sogo for exchange users)

Firstly is it ok if I use a different domain for the nameservers only? provided that everything is mapped in /etc/hosts.

Secondly I decided that it' best that I recreate manually from scratch all users/domains/mailboxes from ISPConfig3.1 GUI to ensure all permissions are done properly. Then I plan to use imapsync to sync email mailboxes. Do I need to update my current installation to ISPConfig3.1 and then use imapsync or it's ok to sync the files using server1-Ispconfig3.0.5.4p9 and server2- Ispconfig3.1?

Lastly is there any guide so that I can create an rsync cron to backup all websites and mails to the backup server?
    p.s I am planning to start the livemigration the moment ISPConfig3.1 stable is released.

Thanks in advance

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sure, any domain name is ok as long as the slave servers can find the master server and the master server can resolve all hostnames.

An update of the old system is not required.

I'am not aware of such a guide. But generally spoken, all you have to do is to ensure that you dont loose permissions and ownerships during sync, e.g. with this rsync options:

rsync -avz -e ssh /var/www/ [email protected]:/var/www/
    rsync -avz -e ssh /var/vmail/ [email protected]:/var/vmail/

sheshes likes this.
  3. sheshes

sheshes Member

Thank you very much for your quick answer. I shall be waiting for the final release now.. :)