ISPConfig3.. for the sake of clarity.. :-) I'm little bit confused :-)

Discussion in 'General' started by bajodel, May 27, 2009.

1. bajodel

bajodel Member

(sorry for my terrible english..)

I'm using ISPConfig 2.x.x in the last 2 years and i'm really confident with it, it's rock solid and complete. The only (little) problem was to convince my users to accept the [domain]_user username scheme :) .. Also new Outlook doesn't help non showing (separated) email address / pop username on the default "add wizard"!

Now i'm testing the ISPConfig 3.0.1.2 on fresh Debian Lenny (up and running fine). The approch is completly different and, even if the layout is clear, it's hard for me to understand how things works. Ii've read about all posts in the forum.. but a manual would be helpfull :)

In ISPConfig2:
    -------------
    - admin can create resellers with particular limits.. (domains/web number, mailboxes, etc..). Admin can add/edit/delete resellers and clients/domains.
    Admin can see all resellers, easy understand who are reseller's clients (the structure is clear when you get familiar with). Admin can obviously do every opertions at admin/reseller/client level.

- resellers can create clients/domains with sub-limits (not overquoting their's
    own limits). Reseller can add/edit/delete clients/domains.. and all services related. Resellers can see all their clients/domains (and nothing else). Resellers can operate on every configuration parameters at reseller/client level.

- clients/domains have their limits. They can only operate and edit their'services: mailboxes, spam settings, ftp user, databases, etc... For exemple: THEY CANNOT EDIT/RENAME DOMAIN NAME!

In ISPConfig3 (..for what i've understood):
    -------------
    - admin (or better.. adminS) can see all system data. Furthermore.. i didn't found a way to understand differences between clients (resellers) and sub-clients (real clients). As admin.. how can i understand the relationships between them ? When i'll have 10 resellers and 200 domain names i'm sure i'll be in trouble in understanding something.
    Admin(s) can set very detailed limits for created clients (very good job).
    There are Clients and Users; Users are auto-updated on Clients modifications. Ok.. from User's panel i can set-up control panel access right ..but why not directly from Clients panel? ..without risk to delete access right for a user which still have Client resources. This part is too confused.. it's better for me to be quiet :)

- clients (instead) can see their's sub-clients. They can assign very detailed limits to them, but they cannot inhibit domain name changes (end users are often not carefull in their's operations).

---

Finally .. what is wrong and what is right in my (silly) ""analisys"" ?

The "old" ISPConfig2 structure is really good in my opinion.. why this distortion from the well consolidated scheme ?

Thanks in advance for your patience, have a nice day!

Bye..

bajodel

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. ago2guy

ago2guy New Member

We have been told that ISPCONFIG 3 is NOT and upgrade to ISPCONFIG 2, so trying to compare functionality may be what is making you a little confused.

Like comparing PC's to MAC's

I think the name may have something to do with it, but I'm no expert.

Hope this helps.

3. bajodel

bajodel Member

Ok, i saw it's not an upgrade. It's a brand new control panel.

.. but .. how does it works ? :confused:

Bye..

bajodel.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Its really simple and straight forard, just click on the new item that you want to create, enter the details and click on save.

A clint which has clients is a reseller of course. Thats the same with ispconfig 2, only that we did not name them explicitely a reseller to be more flexible as poeple often had the problem that a client could not become a reseller in ispconfig 2.

Because many poeple complained about it and it is not scalable enough for multi server systems with hundreds or thousands of users.

If you like ispconfig 2, then stay with it. ISPConfig 3 is a different software and you can not compare it to ispconfig 2.

5. bajodel

bajodel Member

This is clear, of course, and the possibility to 'upgrade' a client to be reseler is really usefull. I saw in the flyspray that the issue for which the admin cannot see the association client<->subclient is already there.. sorry
    I tried to edit the code to change end-user permission (in order to NOT rename his domain name) and it's quite simple. Despite.. the today upgrade has 'killed' my personalization (it's normal, i know).

Now i understand.

Sure.. i like ISPConfig2 and i'll never switch my installation to ISPConfig3. I cannot change trained users habits.. not now, not jet :)
    But i'm going to add 1 more server and i'm wondering if ISPConfig3 could be a valid alternative.. now. It's better, for me, to wait and learn a little bit more its features.

I'm annoyed of all these "..it's different sw, don't compare.." .. we are here to discuss, to understand .. so we compare. I'm not here to blame decisions.
    I'm sure ISPConfig3 will be a wonderfull piece of sw..

Have a nice day..

Bye..

bajodel

6. ago2guy

ago2guy New Member

If only it was called something other than ISPCONFIG 3...

regards

7. bajodel

bajodel Member

ALL system admninistrators makes comparisons between products (different releases, completely different products, .. any alternatives).
    They HAVE to! ..they must chose the better solution, the easiest to mantain, the most secure .. etc..

From now on we can call ISPConfig3 in the way you prefer, you can dedicate a new domain/site to it .. i'll still compare features between it and any other alternatives i want. If i compare cpanel vs plesk capabilities.. are there any people boring us whit this "issue"?

Bye..

bajodel

8. rlischer

rlischer Member

Great post! I am new to ISPConfig 3, and have never even seen previous versions. Is there some simple how-to somewhere that might have screen captures showing usage and best practices for setting clients/resellers and setting the entire system up? I am flying blind when changing things and adding and removing etc....

Thanks all

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no manual available yet.