ISPConfig3 Install writeups and Software integration modules

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by quentusrex, Nov 3, 2008.

1. quentusrex

quentusrex New Member

I am currently building a list of software that will be very simple to integrate into ISPConfig3. Once I have a list of software, and a better understanding about how to convert a write up to a full module, I'll start getting modules submitted.

Here is a short list of software:
    1. RoundCube webmail(this brings up the requirement for clients to be able to choose one webmail over another. This means that the install method where all *.com/webmail/ goes to a single webmail software will have to change to allow different domains to choose different webmail clients)
    2. SVN
    3. Trac
    4. Bugzilla
    5. Doxygen for SVN(very very useful for auto documenting source code http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/manual.html)
    6. MediaWiki
    7. Drupal (both 5 and 6)
    8. Mailman( mailing lists: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041216150359235, and http://tomster.org/geek/freebsdcookbook/ar01s04.html )
    9. Requests?

My plan is to be able to allow a hosting providor to offer MANY software choices to the clients.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. quentusrex

quentusrex New Member

I'll also need information on how a module can be restricted to only be installed on a particular OS. Because my installs are currently for Ubuntu 8.04, they won't work on CentOS without changes.

3. quentusrex

quentusrex New Member

4. kalua

kalua New Member

So I wouldn't install it via apt-get mailmain?
    I would instead grab the source and put it in the webroot?

I'll give it a try

5. kalua

kalua New Member

I just set up mailman on an virtual machine. This was surprising easy, here are the steps:

• apt-get mailman
    • during setup you can choose languages
    • you will also be asked a few questions (mailman admin password, email etc)
    • newlist mailman (you will be remembered by the packet installer)
    • ln -s /etc/mailman/apache.conf /etc/apache2/conf.d/mailman.conf

After installing the packet you have to add the following to /etc/aliases

Code:
    ## mailman mailing list
    mailman:              "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
    mailman-admin:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
    mailman-bounces:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
    mailman-confirm:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
    mailman-join:         "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
    mailman-leave:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
    mailman-owner:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
    mailman-request:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
    mailman-subscribe:    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
    mailman-unsubscribe:  "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"

The installer will give you the entries for your system, he just cant add it by himself.

In mailman.conf is a VirtualHost section which is commented out. Enable it and change the DocumentRoot (/usr/share/mailman/), ServerName (lists.domain.tld) and the LogFile (I just put these in ...client1/web1/log) destinations.

After that, restart apache and point your browser to:

http://domain.tld/mailman/listinfo/

Thats it. So I don't think its necessary to install mailmain from source. At least the installer of the debian packet did a pretty good job so I didn't need to change anything in /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  6. quentusrex

quentusrex New Member

7. kalua

kalua New Member

AFAIKT this is not possible. In /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py you define DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST

But maybe you can override this settings in the mailman config if you create new lists. I havn't tried this.

Mailman seems to be a really beast if you want a multiclient-mailman.
    On the install you have to change /etc/aliases, so you need root access or at least privileges to alter this file. If you want to have more than one "mailman-root-admin" you would also need more than one aliase-block (listinfo, admin,....)

8. quentusrex

quentusrex New Member

I've just read that it will be ready in mailman 3.0. But not until then. I hear on IRC that this might be working in 2.2.

I'm curious how the separate admins would work? How would each virtual host manage their own lists?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  9. kalua

kalua New Member

I just found an detailed howto (you have to scroll down a little bit) for setup mailman with postfix.

Maybe it can be used to build an mailman package for ISPConfig. I'm not sure if its possible that each client could have their own lists (== for the domains the client controls)

I also saw a table mail_mailman_domain in the ISPConfig database, which isn't used yet, right?

I'll try to get it to work, but its not on the top of my todo list ;)

10. quentusrex

quentusrex New Member