ispconfig_update.sh asks for database password

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by cmks, Oct 30, 2023.

1. cmks

cmks Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi team,
    running the ispconfig_update.sh script on some (not all) slave servers asks for a password:
    >> Update
    Operating System: Debian 11.0 (Bullseye) or compatible
    This application will update ISPConfig 3 on your server.
    Shall the script create a ISPConfig backup in /var/backup/ now? (yes,no) [yes]:
    Checking MariaDB version 10.5.21 .. OK
    Checking ISPConfig database .. Enter password:
    OK
    Starting incremental database update.
    Loading SQL patch file: /tmp/update_runner.sh.UdwsPPvTCM/install/sql/incremental/upd_dev_collection.sql
    Reconfigure Permissions in master database? (yes,no) [no]:
    Service 'db_server' has been detected (currently disabled) do you want to enable and configure it? (yes,no) [no]:
    Reconfigure Services? (yes,no,selected) [yes]:​

I don't know which password is asked for (remote server or local database) - the script should be more clear here.
    Furthermore it doesn't matters what I input here - even if I enter a wrong password here the script says "OK" and finishes w/o any errors.
    I also notice, I run the script multible times (--force), it always says:
    Loading SQL patch file: /tmp/update_runner.sh.UdwsPPvTCM/install/sql/incremental/upd_dev_collection.sql​
    Is this by design or is the patch not apllied?

Regards
    cmks

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Where does it ask for a password? I don't see it in the text you shared.

PS: please put such content in CODE tags (Insert > Code)

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Password question is here:

Checking MariaDB version 10.5.21 .. OK
    Checking ISPConfig database .. Enter password:

But that output does not look like ispconfig_update.sh listing. Have you edited the text before pasting here?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe the prompt was issued directly from the mysqlcheck command and not from ISPConfig. But this would indicate that there is a problem with the password in mysql_clientdb.conf. But on the other hand, the further ISPConfig update would have either failed then or ISPConfig would have requested a password as well, which did not seem to have happened. So its a bit strange to see a password prompt there indeed.

5. cmks

It is the unmodified output of the update script.

6. cmks

Maybe the script has been granted access via Linux user rights? How can I check that behavior?

How to check / fix it?

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not use grants by Linux user rights. You need a correct username and password in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf