ispconfigsave logs growing indefinitely

Discussion in 'General' started by bolero, Dec 1, 2008.

1. bolero

bolero New Member

I'm using ISPConfig on a few virtual machines for a few months now and overall I'm quite satisfied of how it works. Thanks for this package!
    Today I found a quirk, though. One of the VMs was showing very heavy load during the night/cron.daily time, so I checked what was going on and found that logwatch was catting a 4 GB large maillog.ispconfigsave file. I found this file to be the collected maillogs since this VM started a few months ago.
    There's also an vsftpd.log.ispconfigsave. I had these two log backups removed from all VMs for now.
    I will change the logwatch definitions to only look in maillog and not in maillog.*. This may produce odd results at logrotate time as some info may be missing if logwatch is scanning only one file, but I don't see a better way to prevent logwatch scanning the ispconfigsave files. Do you? (I think the better option would be for future ISPConfig versions to use files named "ispconfigsave.maillog" or somethign else, so the logwatch logfile definitions cannot match anymore.)
    But this solves only the logwatch part, not the issue of the evergrowing file.
    What exactly are the ispconfigsave files for? What would be missing from ISPConfig stats if they wouldn't get produced at all? (I assume some cronjob is doing it?)
    Am I missing a cronjob that should delete the earlier *.ispconfigsave files on the next rotation or once they are of no use anymore? (I can't assume they are needed longer than until the month's end or so.) Or is this a bug by chance?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is the purpose of this log. If you dont need, this function, just disable it under management > server > settings.

3. bolero

bolero New Member

Sorry, Till, *what* is the purpose, growing indefinitely? I'd say it's a side or maybe main effect, but not a purpose ;-) What would be the purpose of keeping an ever growing logfile? Is there any functionality in ISPConfig that needs it? If not, why is it switched on by default? (It is on by default, isn't it?) I really can't see much use for that function.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The purpose of the logfile is to contain the complete mail log and to get not rotated.

Legal requirements in several countries.

No, it is switched off by default.

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

just out of curiosity: is this still on with ispcfg3 and where can one control its settigns?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, this feature isn't available in ISPConfig 3.